a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Stern Plugs

Started by captbob57, March 26, 2020, 12:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captbob57

Hello PC Nation! It has been awhile. My question is when the PC is at dockside or moored can the stern plugs be removed to let rain water out or would this be a disaster. When I read about the PC sometimes it says the cockpit is self draining or self bailing. I understand that self bailing means that under way remove a plug and water should drain out of the cockpit. What about self draining? Also I noticed that due to the angle of the stern, the plugs don't really seat well. Even snug I can pull them out with my hand. What do my fellow PC sailors think? Thanks!

bruce

On the water, the disaster would be if the boat filled with water, from rain, wake, leak, whatever. The plugs should be left out when you're away from the boat.

Even on the trailer outdoors, or a lift, the plugs should be out. If the cockpit floods, the added weight can cause the hull to crack at the bunks, rollers, or other support. Not good.

The cockpit drains are a bit problematic, in that they are so close to the waterline. At rest, the drains should be out of the water unless your trim is really off. Unfortunately, the minute you step in the boat and move back to the transom, to put the plugs in for example, the drains will likely submerge and water will come in. Typically not a lot, just a few gallons, but enough to get your feet wet.

Underway it's the same thing. If the boat is on its lines, trimmed fore and aft, the cockpit should drain, but as crew moves around, the drains often submerge, for a while at least. Most PC sailors have their drains plugged while sailing, unless the conditions are such that taking on water is likely and wet feet are an acceptable trade off for the safety provided by a self-draining cockpit. The plugs are adjustable, but if you can't get a tight enough fit, you can line the stock PVC pipe with 1" flared brass drain tube, Moeller makes them, that improves the fit. I've done that, but my plugs are old and aren't tight either, and they still work fine.

A second and even better upgrade is to remove the flap-style scupper valve Com-Pac provides and install Flo-Max Ball Scuppers, made by THMarine. The mounting holes lined up exactly for me (2011), so it was a 5 minute job to swap them out. At rest, if submerged the ball seals off the scupper, but is open if the scupper is dry. Once underway, if the scupper is submerged, at first the drain is sealed but at 2-3 knots the ball is sucked off the seat and water will come in, so the plugs are still needed.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

captbob57

Thanks Bruce. Does the brass inserts in your drain tubes hold up in saltwater? might give that a shot or look for bronze ones. Thanks again.

bruce

They do, but I'm not asking much of them, just lining the PVC pipe. Bronze would be better, of course. I bedded mine in Sikaflex 291. If they failed I could replace them.

Meoller makes them in aluminum too. No contact with other metals, so they could work. Thin wall is key, 1" is pretty minimal already if you want to drain a cockpit quick.
http://www.moellermarine.com/product-tag/transom-drain-tubes/

I'm sure you could find SS or monel if you wanted to.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

captbob57

PawsCat

I second Bruce's recommendation to install the TH ball scuppers. They are much better than the OE ones.  https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-marine-flow-max-ball-scupper/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1cjmmMzP6QIVGcDICh0XtgAqEAQYBSABEgJMLvD_BwE