a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heading home

Started by alsantini, March 15, 2020, 10:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well, after not the best sailing season, we are packed and heading home tomorrow.  Our kids convinced us that it is now or in 6-8 weeks after the virus has died down.  Our son also said the motel rooms are now as clean as they will be BUT at Florida drains north, they will get germ filled.  I thought this as a good point.
The sailing that I did this winter was really good but not enough.  We had extreme winds (over 25 mph) and rough seas for a large number of the possible sailing days. But when we sailed it was fantastic.
See you on the other side.  Sail on....
Al

PalmettoSailor

Christopher

Al
  Be safe traveling home! 

alsantini

8)  We are home.  Spent 2 nights on the road. Basically disinfected the motel rooms completely.  We used 40 wipes and a can of spray Lysol.  Hopefully we were successful - will see.  The boat traveled exceptionally well.  I made more of an effort to balance out the inside.  Rather than putting the sail bag on one of the quarter berths, I put it just in front of the mast across the bow.  I had my bike (folding recumbent trike) in the middle on the floor and a few extra items.  Everything traveled well.  This morning I opened up and everything was AOK.  A little bit of water on the port quarter berth, but we ran through rain all day yesterday.  Prior to me re-sealing the mast, I would have had gallons in the cabinet - now dry...  success.
Some extra things about the trip.  There are few people on the road and few people in motels (two for us).  We stayed in Comfort Inns on the way home.  They were amazingly clean.  They have eliminated the breakfast buffet and now deliver a limited breakfast directly to the room.  We traveled with a cooler full of food so we would not have to stop in restaurants.  Ate two lunches on a picnic table in rest areas.  We picked the table as far from everything and used a table cloth.  3rd day it was raining so we ate in the back of a truck stop, where I bought gas.  After each gas stop or bathroom break we used hand sanitizer before we got back in the car.  All in all an uneventful trip with lots of extra precautions taken.  Off the Wind is now in the driveway out at the Lake hopefully waiting for a launch day.  Fingers crossed. 
Hope everyone is taking precautions to stay healthy.  Especially those of us in the retirement age group.  Stay safe... and sail on.     Al

slode

Al, Glad to hear you made it back with no issues. 

Your post title seems to be hitting a lot of folks lately.  We just got the word today that all staff are to work from home for the foreseeable future except a few of our warehouse and other essential staff to keep goods moving in and out.  Fortunately we supply process equipment to the food processing industry so our business outlook is positive.  We do a lot of equipment for infant formula so it may be very good in another year or so.

It'll be a month or more before the lakes are clear of ice and warm enough to set sail around here, but looking forward to getting Sylvia out.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41