a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lubricating rudder bolts (Pintle) and gudgeons

Started by Bertinc, January 16, 2020, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertinc

I removed the bolts and nuts from the rudder head that attaches to the gudgeons on the hull on my 2009 SunCat and wonder what type of lubricant would work best on them when reassembling?
I plan plan to use nylon washers at the two mating portions of the bolt and brass bushed gudgeons  but figure a lubricant would also help alleviate friction on the rudder.

Andre

I've used marine wheel bearing grease (just what I have on hand) every spring on my PC and HC and it seems to work well enough.  Both boats are trailer launched in fresh water only - the PC maybe twice a week and the HC once every week or two.  By the end of the season I may notice a slight increase in friction but not enough to bother with until spring.

The reason I mention fresh water is that the previous owner of my HC had kept in on a mooring in salt water and I found the steering to be quite stiff when I first got it and was concerned that it might be the cable.  After taking the rudder bolts out, cleaning them (it looked like they were salt encrusted), and greasing them, the friction dropped dramatically much to my relief.

Andre