a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder hinge corrosion on my HC

Started by Greg, December 20, 2019, 12:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

The hinge holes (gudgeons?) in the rudder have corroded causing the rudder to slop around. I plan on re-boring the holes adding bushings and replacing the bolts (pintles?). Has anybody re-bored and added bushings to the rudder hinge?
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)

Bristol14

I did this on my '23 a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I bought the bushings from Com-Pac.  I was concerned about getting a good alignment, reboring with a drill, but it worked well. Plus, the casting is aluminum so pretty soft and easy to drill.
Paul

Reighnman

Do a key word search as this is a very common repair. I purchased a extra long drill bit so I could drill both holes at the same time and went with bronze bushings. Super easy.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Jon898

Jeff

Hi guys, I too am replacing bronze sleeves in the rudder casing but finding trying to drill out old bronze sleeves very tricky with a hand drill and extra long 1/2" bit. I'm inclined to take it to a metal fab shop to do it properly on a drill press with suitable bit for bronze. Anyone else encounter worn old bronze sleeves already in there? How did you drill out the bronze and not damaging the softer surrounding aluminum? Jeff

slode

You should be able to punch out the old bushings with a proper size pin punch.  Alternatively you can make a puller out of a piece of threaded rod smaller than the bush ID, a sleeve (deep well socket or piece of pipe/tube) just bigger than the sleeve OD and longer than the sleeve, another sleeve just smaller than the bush OD, and a couple washers and nuts. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Greg

I replaced them. Used a long shaft bit. If you get the bit pretty straight it will spin out the existing bushing. Don't forget to use MareLube  when reassembling. Pretty easy.
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)