a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cleaning Boat Bottom Fresh Water Algea and Slime

Started by gmerrill, October 22, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

Moved by boat to a freshwater lake this past weekend. Research says I won't have to deal with barnacles but will have
to deal with lots of algae and slime.  I keep my boat in a slip so I want to prevent hauling it out as little as possible.  My research shows that you can haul it out, spray a solution of choice, then pressure wash it.  I've found a Scrubbis tool design to clean boats in the water.  Mixed reviews.  Most of the bad reviews came from people with larger boats.  All reviews said that it was ineffective on cleaning the keel good.  Of course a diver of which we have none in our area.
I may be missing something here, but why can't i just take a stiff brush with a 5' handle, lean over the side of the boat or from the finger pier and scrub it in that manner.  I have a hard body coat on my boat so it won't hurt the hull.  I've look over the internet and youtube and no one suggesting this.  The closest thing was taking a piece of carpet with lines on each side.  With 2 people  pulling the lines up and down with the carpet rubbing the slime off, still have to clean keel.  Any suggestions other than what was mention.

alsantini

Greg.  I keep my boat in a fresh water slip all summer.  At the end of the summer, I drop the mast, while still in the slip, tie everything down and motor over to the ramp.  Pull the boat, remove the rudder and drive across the street to a car wash.  All the slime and fur peel off with the hot water of the car wash.  Once I let it dry and it was not near as easy.  Hit it with a power washer while it is still wet and it just peels off.
How long will the boat be in fresh water?  I have the hard bottom paint that the factory puts on and it still looks decent.  It really does a great job.  I have never had any problems getting the slime and "fur" off.    Sail On     Al

gmerrill

Al,

Pretty much what the people at the marina told me.  And I can pull it out without taking everything down.  I can bring my pressure washer with me, just have to haul it 2 hours.  I think I can keep the sides pretty clean and just sail to someplace shallow and jump in and do the keel.  You heading to Florida I see.  Have a good time. Wish I had time to take off and come sail with you but still having to put food on the table.

crazycarl

none of the boats at our fresh water marina have bottom paint on them.  the marina uses muriatic acid to clean the hulls after haul out every year.  my nieghbor does the same thing. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Vectordirector

When I was a kid boating in St. Louis before the invention of the pressure washer we used tidy bowl toilet cleaner to clean the bottom after the fall haul out.  It was diluted hydrochloric/muriatic acid and worked fine.  The boat specific one was identical and called Zing.  It was 3 times the price and no difference in performance.  40 years ago and I'm not sure either one is still available.  This was on unpainted gelcoat bottom ski boats that had been in the water for 3 months. 

Wear old clothes, gloves and eye protection.  It is nasty stuff you do not want on you. 

Fair Winds,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Gerry

My 16 spends the summer in fresh water.  I have bottom paint.  As soon as I get my boat home I spray the water line with liquid (not gel) toilet bowl cleaner.  This kills any living matter almost immediately.  Toilet bowl cleaner is a fairly strong acid so I wear long sleeves, safety glasses and a mask.  Next I wash the boat with plenty of
dish detergent.  This is followed by a hose rinse set at "jet".  Finally a good gentle rinse.  Cheap, effective, safe, and fast.  I wax the hull in spring.  The boat is now ready for storage.  I do the same for my 22' powerboat.  I've been doing this for years and it works perfect with no damage. 
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

BobK

I have found using a squeegee to remove the slime works without removing the bottom paint.  This needs to be done while the bottom is still wet.  I have a CP27 that I dive under and squeegee off the bottom 2-3 times/year.
BobK

gmerrill

Thanks for all the input guys. I like the idea about squeegee. Sine the Eclipse draws very little water. I think I can get in shallow water and do a pretty good job.
Greg