a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging advice

Started by Fastdoc98, September 22, 2019, 05:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastdoc98

So I've stepped the mast a few times and yesterday finally got around to starting to tune the rigging.  The previous owner (who never sailed the boat) had taken off the turnbuckles and shrouds by spinning off the levers and body of the turnbuckle from the upper threaded portion of the shroud leaving the lower part of the turnbuckle intact and pinned.  I started by pulling cotter pins and loosening everything and then started the turnbuckles so they are threaded evenly on top and bottom, then stepped the mast and connected the jib.  I closed the levers and started tightening the turnbuckles a couple turns at a time, even on both sides.  I checked to see if the mast is straight vertically from the front and rear, and I have it reasonably close (I think the boat sits slightly off kilter on the trailer).  When I looked from the side I noted there was some rake to the mast backwards.  It's not a huge bend, but certainly not absolutely straight.  I don't feel like I have the turnbuckles overly tight as the Johnson levers take just a bit of force to close tight (the last one obviously), but when I pop it loose it's not a deadly weapon.  I was able to unstep the mast on Al's boat when he took me out, and the levers feel pretty similar from what I remember.  Obviously I don't have a Loos gauge and I'm going by feel, but I'm wondering if the backwards rake is a big problem, or common on a fractional rig like this.  I know the Precisions are supposed to have some rake, but they also have a backstay unlike ours.  I was hoping to finally take to the water next week maybe Wednesday or Thursday and I figured I could see how the rigging looks under load, if the lee shroud is sagging or still somewhat taut.  Anybody have any input from how you set yours up? Am I going about this wrong?

slode

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I would advise trying to get the mast as near vertical as possible with no aft or forward rake.  A long level works okay for this.  Level out the boat on the trailer with the tong jack (level at the water line stripe), then level the mast.  Mine had too much forward rake when I got her and she had just a touch of lee helm when on a close reach in light winds. 

The shroud levers should be about as hard to close as you are comfortable with.  I believe this is still quite a bit less tension than would be ideal but should keep the leeward shroud from going slack in heavy conditions and still allow you to open them without hurting yourself.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Fastdoc98

So I raised the mast again today and backed off the turnbuckles just a turn or two, and the backbend was very minimal and there was still decent tension on the shrouds and lever handles, so I figured that should be adequate for the first sail.  When I released the levers and the shrouds were slack, I looked up the mast and there is the slightest rake to the rear.  I'm thinking this may be a result of the diamonds' tension, but I'm hesitant to start messing with those turnbuckles until I actually try it out on the water with some wind.  Hopefully tomorrow is the day I can go out to a lake and play with it!

slode

If the whole mast is raked back above the hinge that's probably forestay adjustment.  That's the turnbuckle you use to get the mast vertical, then set tension with the shrouds.  You need to remove the pin on the furler drum and push that up to get at the forestay turnbuckle.  But I'd agree with getting her out before too much more adjustment from where you are at.  If you have excess weather helm then you can tighten the forestay to bring the mast forward.  Good luck with your first sail! 

Fastdoc98

No need to fear, it all went well today!  Decent breeze at times and the shrouds were fine.  Felt pretty well balanced, enough that I don't think I need to make any big changes for now.  I was thrilled to finally get some water under the keel, everything worked perfectly, wind was nice, temps were mild - all in all, a great first sail!  The main looks a little tired and baggy and I do have a nearly brand new full batten main that I may throw on just to compare, but it seemed to handle very well in today's conditions.  Big thanks to my wife for coming along and helping me through the First Time Out - she's a keeper, that one!  Now that I've accomplished this, I'm looking forward to a full day out on a bigger lake, just have to wait for the days off and the right conditions.   What a sweet boat!!

slode

Great to hear you had a good first outing and are enjoying the boat!

alsantini

Fantastic.  Great feel to have water under the keel for the first time.  Sail On and enjoy.   Al