a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Adding cleats to a PC

Started by glenn1489, September 05, 2019, 08:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn1489

Any suggestions for how to install additional cleats to the coaming on a PC? Is this a DIY project or should I leave it to a professional? Seems like there's some foam (?) underneath the coaming that would need to be cut to install a backing board. I want the cleats mainly to hang fenders. Would a surface mounted ring (like the bimini attachment) suffice for this purpose or is that likely to pull out too easily?
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

With the outward facing deck flange adding midship cleats to a PC is easy. Adding cleats on top of the coaming would be more difficult, and more apt to catch the sheet. You can see how Com-Pac installed the stern cleats, with just washers rather than a backing plate. That's fine for fenders of mooring lines.

I added cleats at the widest point (about in line with the sheet) and at the shrouds. With the stern cleats, that lets me hang three fenders per side. I use the cleat at the shroud and stern for mooring lines. We're never moored long usually, just long enough to get the trailer. I used West Marine #10829588 cleats, and Sikaflex 291 for bedding. Let me know if you need more details.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

My dock is about the same height as the deck flange, which is why I wanted the cleat a little higher up on the coaming. Otherwise, my fenders will hang too low. Maybe I can surface mount a pad eye so it doesn't interfere with sheets.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Thanks for the feedback, Glenn. Here's a couple of photos how we lie at our dock. The deck flange kind of lines up with the dock bumper, but the fenders land on the underling frame. I'm most concerned about my gelcoat. We usually land at the dock shown, with the prevailing wind (up to 20 kts.) from the left setting us off. We come in steep and fast, get line over from the shroud cleat, and pivot the motor to bring the stern in. The fenders have worked well for us, but I appreciate that your situation is different, and that I'm not leaving my boat in the water.

I do have a friend who kept a PC at a slip in Sesuit on the Cape. His previous boat was a Catalina 27 he berthed on Bass River. I gave him midship cleats and that he installed as described, and he was satisfied.

At first, I was going to install a track on top of the coaming that could receive various cars for mounting fenders where ever I wanted. The problem was, it would be hard to hang a fender from there and have it stay at the deck flange. It would tend to raise up, providing no protection, or be forced below the flange as mine lie hanging from the cleats. I have seen some interesting L-shaped fenders that could work, but the issue where to mount them remains. A post on top of the coaming would work, but I wouldn't want it here the rest of the time. A line from inside the cockpit may be best, and pad eyes would be easier to install there, from the side lockers.
https://www.boatid.com/taylor-made/taylor-made-low-freeboard-fender-510010467.html

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Thanks Bruce. Your dock looks similar to mine in terms of its height relative to the boat. I'll be experimenting with my fender positioning and will post some pictures after the coming storm passes. The boat normally sits at a mooring, so docking is always short-term, but I'm afraid I've already marred the gelcoat and want to prevent any real damage. There are some barnacles just below the dock bumpers.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Thanks, Glenn. Good luck with the storm. My upmost sympathies for those effected, the Bahamas have been devastated.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Here's a view of my dock and fender positioning. I'm thinking maybe a round ball about 8-10" diameter may work better, or at least a larger diameter standard fender. Then I could add cleats to the flange as you described, and hang the fenders below the flange.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

We've had similar thoughts. My fenders are 6" x 15", with a through hole so I can hang it tight to the deck flange. I would have preferred a larger diameter, but that usually comes with a longer length. Our fenders already drag in the water. I has also considered rigging the fenders horizontally, with a single line through the through hole of several fenders.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/taylor-made--6-x-15-big-b-fender-navy--P005_156_001_005?pCode=2630309&mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3085587824&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3ENonB%3EProduct%2520Type-_-2630309&product_id=2630309&adpos=1o3&creative=108421551604&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYrdJqAI_QnQQxZgaH7l14QT1LvCIcEA_QsVtJQMQGfg3vuiOgrNjZRoCIwcQAvD_BwE

A 8"or 10" ball would be good, I see Polyform has 8" and 11" versions. I'd want them to hang well and not roll up, and be tight to the flange. My experience has been the 6" fender we have has worked well. The only failure has with an atypical wind that set us down hard on a corner of the float, that landed between the fenders. Can't blame the fenders for that.

You've got a good handle on it, I'm sure whatever you rig will work out.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

bruce

Looking at your photos again, if the fender is below the deck flange it is captured. With the fender between the rub rail and dock bumper, as you show, I can imagine it popping out under wave action, or if the boat moved forward or aft along the dock, rolling it out.

Of course, that's really only a concern for longer tie ups, when no one is watching the boat.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Zephyros

Quote from: glenn1489 on September 08, 2019, 05:12:26 PM

Hi Glen,

Bruce asked me to let you know the forum software is flaking out again and suspended his account. Until the admin sorts it out I've sent you his email via PM, per Bruce's request.

Tom