a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer modification to oil bath hub on trailer

Started by nies, September 03, 2019, 06:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nies

Thinking of changing my trailer hubs from grease to oil bath.looks to be a better lube for bearing.my 16 trailer has a 2000# axel for my Com Pac 16(1978....................brought it new). anyone done this or thoughts?....................nies

Tim Gardner

Why?  That's a lot of hassle, and oil bath pressurizer cups are a pain to keep from leaking.   The grease works fine, IMHO

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Zephyros

After looking at all the available options I changed my Sun Cat trailer to Vortex Hubs. They are sealed with Locus marine grease and a 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty from Tie Down Engineering. The Vortex hub covers can be removed just in case you want to check the grease for water contamination.

For my size hubs I found the best price here:
https://trailerparts.com/vortex.html

bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

moonlight

I thought most of the oil bath stuff had been removed from the market?
Trouble with it is, when it decides to leak, you have a sudden and catastrophic loss of lubrication in entirety.
At least grease sticks around a long time... that's why it was invented.

Tim Gardner

I was directly involved in the 80"s (almost 40 yrs ago) in conversion of oil bath pump bearing frames to oil mist systems that are the standard for high energy equipment bearing lubrication today.  Well, guess what? Remote, even today, seldom seen or maintained bearings are GREASE LUBRICATED! Why? Well you know why.  Check your bearing buddies, and give'em a pump or two after every dunking and unless you are hitting 10k miles a year with a fully loaded trailer, you'll be just fine,  Even with the  mini tires.

submitted IMHMO TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.