a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast hardware help

Started by greg988, July 27, 2019, 05:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg988

What is the name of the little metal cylinder that goes into the mast channel to keep things (like the main sail) from coming back out?  Mine took a swim and can't find what they're called to get more.

geeman

I've always heard them called gates.
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

brackish

Davis sail track stops.  But my advice.  Do this instead

greg988

Thank you!  What does that do?

brackish

It keeps the sail slides in the track and does not let them out of the gate when you lower the sail.  It also is a quick release when you need to reef and drop a couple of slides.  It will not be dropped overboard unlike what you had, you have to realize that most boat coach roofs are designed for that item to take a one bounce dive to the drink. I lost at least three of them before i went to what is pictured.

Can't remember either McMaster Carr or Grainger, about five bucks.  You have to be willing to drill an alignment hole through your mast.  It is a push pin with a spring ball detent, all stainless steel that is securely attached to the mast.

greg988

Very good idea, thanks so much!

AirborneJarhead

Brilliant! I'm constantly struggling getting my stops in or adjusted to where I want them. Those days are soon to be over!
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

bruce

Agreed, great idea!

For those interested, this looks like it. In order to get a link to forward, I choose 1/4" x 2" for the pin size, looked about right. Lots of other sizes available. I'm sure brackish will set me straight if necessary.
https://www.mcmaster.com/94975a174
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

brackish

Think I used 3/16" but not sure.  There is no load on the thing just the weight of the flaked sail also supported by the boom.  Length?  I took a set of calipers up there and kind of measured where it would go and then added a little.  I'll check next time at the boat.  Hardest part getting the drill bit started without leading off on that curved surface.  I also drilled with a slight slant so the ring side would be just ever so slightly high.  Probably not necessary.  Locate it above your gate where you want your sail slugs to collect.  I do still use a Davis track stop but below the boom to support it when the sail is lowered.  I never take it out so don't lose it.

bruce

Quote from: brackish on July 29, 2019, 03:29:06 PM
Hardest part getting the drill bit started without leading off on that curved surface.

One trick I've used is to start small, like 1/8" or smaller, that will register well at an angle on a center punch. Then increase the hole gradually with a series of larger bits, following the first hole. Starting with a 3/16" bit would be difficult, in my experience.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Garyandjoanlee

Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

brackish

it turns out my pin was 3/16" by 1-1/2" usable length which makes OAL of the pin 1-7/8"  Larger diameter not really necessary, be careful with the length, somewhat dictated by where you drill your thru holes. too long ok, too short you buy a longer pin.  You have to place it where the slugs will sit on it without dropping under it and getting caught.