a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat keel

Started by Renae, June 27, 2019, 09:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilge Rat

There was a former Sun Cat Owner named Capt. Nemo who cut out access to the bilge on his Suncat. I will attempt to paste the link below. This is something I wish Compac did professionally at the factory. I'm reluctant to do this myself but as a last resort if you needed to access the bilge/inside of keel for any type of work, I think you would have to open up some type of access.

https://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=8986.msg66794#msg66794
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

DanM

The P.O. of my SunCat was inspired by that post to do the same. Worked out OK, though I haven't needed access to the bilge. Just to let you know that more than one SunCat owner has done this.

Bilge Rat

Good to know. It seems like a good way to access the bilge.

Christopher

I did it to my 03 Suncat after I saw Capt Nemo's post and it has worked very well for me.  I did not install wood panels over mine I just left it open.  What I like about it is I can quickly inspect the bilge for water and easily reach in with a  sponge to completely absorb any water that is in the bilge.   

Bilge Rat

Question for you all who have opened up this access. What tool did you use to cut the fiberglass?

bruce

Jigsaws and maybe sawzalls, if you have the depth, routers, and circular saws, will work, but with greater dust, kerf, and tear out, somewhat respectively. An oscillating saw works great in fiberglass, is easily controlled, and makes stopped plunge cuts readily.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

Quote from: Bilge Rat on August 23, 2019, 01:57:03 PM
Question for you all who have opened up this access. What tool did you use to cut the fiberglass?

Sawzall.

DanM

I agree with Bruce, use an oscillating saw like a Fein tool or one of the copycats. Much easier to control and less destructive than a reciprocating saw like a Sawzall for this application.
Of course wear a respirator and have a shopvac on hand.

Christopher

I used a jig saw and it worked great for me.  I believe  you get better control with a jig saw for this task versus a sawsall.

Bub

Where did you install It? Do you have a picture?
And is it in  a SunCat or a Sun Day Cat which is my model. Different cockpit size and lay out.
Thanks.