Dousing sail

Started by Renae, June 18, 2019, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland of Macatawa

Excellent suggestion, Bruce! Thanks.

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Renae

Quite right.  I'll get some photos next time I rig up.  The weather and my work schedule aren't really cooperating at the moment.

Roland of Macatawa

Bruce, Others:

I've added a gaff downhaul using the suggestion of Bruce for using the machined, stainless-steel, rod-end bolt at the gaff's gooseneck.
It works well. I'm pleased, but some small difficulties.

First, having trouble getting a sufficiently compact knot tying the line to the shackle.
Tried a bowline, but have switched to trying a perfection loop.
Second, having trouble keeping the nyloc stainless-steel nut from backing off. Will add loc-tite.

Will not go back to not having the downhaul.
Just got to solve these small problems.

Regards, Roland

2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

A threadlocker might help, but I'd suggest a mechanical stop to be sure it holds, and that would be easier to monitor. A castle nut, or even just a hole drilled through the end of the bolt and a cotter pin, would work. Alternatively, a jam nut.

One downside of threadlockers is they rely on the electrochemical activity of the metal to cure. SS and oxidized aluminum are poor substrates, and sometimes need primers, because they are less reactive (a plus in the marine environment).

I use a small shackle to attach the downhaul, in my case a bungee. Whatever works!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI