a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spray Dodger

Started by Paul G, May 11, 2019, 11:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

]Any Eclipse owners ever had a go at fitting a spray dodger? (Or something similiar)

I would like to rig up something along the lines of a dodger to shelter from the wind when at anchor. I am workshopping an idea to attach/zip/clip a clear screen to the forward edge of the Bimini and then to the coach roof with a zipper to allow access to/from the cabin. I understand the need to be able to go forward at times.

Was curious as to what others may have done to ward off the wind chill in the cockpit at night time.

Vectordirector

HI,

My boat actually came with one that zipped to the front of the bimini and had snaps around the cabin top to secure it.  It had a tag on it that said it was from JSI in St. Pete or somewhere up there the same  as the bimini.  If my ex hasen't pitched it it may still be in the basement of the house I moved out of and forgot the dodger.  Probably expensive to ship to you if she even still has it as it is bulky. I never used it.   

So, yes it is possible and I would call the factory and see if they can get you one.  Matt is the parts guy and knows his stuff.  Other than that call a good local canvas shop who does sail covers and biminis.  They can do one for probably less money because of shipping costs.

I sold my Eclipse and hadn't thought about the dodger in a while.

Good Luck!

Fair Winds,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Whisper

Hi Swabbie , I would like to do the same thing with my Bimini . Also thought it might be able to enclose the sides as well . The weather can be cool at times in Tasmania and next season we want to venture on our west coast wilderness area of Macquarie harbour . Worth a look on google .
It rains a lot in this area and I'm not sure if the Bimini is waterproof. I think zips to attach to the Bimini would make it easier.
I have tried to make the boat sailable without venturing on to the sharp end by having all lines lead back to the cockpit. I have also fitted a small anchor winch with an up/down button in the cockpit and the anchor permanently mounted on the bowsprit. Works fine.
If you come up with any solutions please post them .
I will try a canvas worker to see if it's feasible as well .
I think maybe the only drawback will be the headroom to enter the cabin .
Cheers Whisper