a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Apalachicola Bay

Started by 49captain, May 10, 2019, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

This is an exploratory post.  I have been thinking about an informal rally involving sailing from Apalachicola to Little St. George Island for two days of camping and sailing.  There are three camping areas on Little St. George, from west to east - West Pass, Marshall House, and Sikes (Government ) Cut.  We could do this on a weekend or during the week.
I must emphasize that this is serious sailing.  From Apalachicola to Sikes Cut is about 5 nm of open water.  Sailing from there to Marshall House or West Pass is along the north shore of the island.  While all the sailing is in the Bay it is still open water and can get very choppy.  In addition, the Apalachicola River has a current of almost 4 kt on an outgoing tide.  Not trying to scare anyone but a stout engine and solid gear are essential.  We have a ComPac Horizon DayCat with the inboard diesel.  In addition, Little St. George is an uninhabited barrier island with no vehicle access and no amenities at all.  The scenery and sailing are spectacular.  The campsites are primitive so all water, food, etc., must be carried on board.  The north shoreline of the island is quite shallow in places and a beachable boat, or bring a dinghy, is best.
I haven't discussed this in detail with the island management organization - the Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve - but I haven't received any negative feedback, yet.  There may have to be a size limit on the group but I don't know yet.
I think the best time of year for this would be mid- to late October or early to mid-November, excluding the week around our annual seafood festival.  Too many yellow flies in spring and you DON'T want to deal with them.
I'd like to gauge interest in this.  No guarantee that I can pull it off but, if there are enough interested parties, I'll give it a good try.
If the multi-day sailing/camping option doesn't appeal, day sailing out of Apalachicola is an option.
Anyway, if anyone would be interested let me know.  Or, if anyone wants to come down, drink some beer, eat some oysters, and maybe sail a bit, we're game.
Ron

brackish

I would be a maybe.  Like the plan but it is a long tow for me.  I've made the 430 mile tow from home to Mexico Beach twice, then to Pensacola for the B.E.E.R cruise so certainly possible to go the extra 30 miles or so.  Also currently in the middle of bringing back the MB house so very busy with that and not sure when it will all be finished.  So lots of variables in 2019.  Maybe on one of the trips to MB I'll give you a call and we can have a beer and talk about it.  So far all of those trips (7) have been short, in and out, meet with contractors, insurance adjusters, engineers, code permitting people and maybe do a couple of days of work myself that we don't anticipate putting under contract. 

49captain

Good luck with the house.  Maybe it will be a calm year so you can get it done. 
Yeah, let me know if you get down here and have a bit of spare time.  We go away for the summer and return in the fall - we'll be gone from July to Sept.  Too hot for much sailing here.  If you don't get back down here before the end of June we can meet up later this year.
Ron

PJ

Pending the dates, it could be a possibility if it coordinates with my trip hauling s/v Good Tidings to Pine Island.  Otherwise, the 600+ mile one way  tow is a show stopper for a 2 day event.  Will haul to Florida  after hurricane season so November time frame.
s/v Good Tidings

49captain

I just looked at your profile and noticed that you live in Kentucky.  Where in KY?   We lived in Paducah for almost 40 years and moved to Apalachicola when we retired.
It is a long drive.  We did it for several years before we moved so we know just how long it is. 
It's great here in Nov. as long as you come after the seafood festival weekend.  If you decide to make the trip stay a few days here in Old Florida.  The interest for an organized rally doesn't seem to be there but who says you need a lot of people and organization to have fun.
If you decide to come down this way keep in touch.
Ron

PJ

Live in a very small town called White Mills, about an hour south on 65 from Louisville.  Kept my Island Packet 32 at Green Turtle and then our Flicka at Lighthouse Landing so somewhat familiar with Paducah.  Will keep the sailing opportunity in mind, maybe that is my go south stop in November along with the Florida 120 my migrate north stop in May.
s/v Good Tidings

49captain

Back in 1980 (I think - it's been a loooong time) we kept our O'Day 22 at LightHouse Landing.  Marty (? - I think that was the owner's name) and his wife were really nice. They took that marina from a down-and-out in the late '60's to a pretty nice marina.
We loved our IP 29 but felt we would be better off with a smaller, tailerable boat.
We'd like to do the 120.  Did you do it this year?  We are looking at doing it next year. 
Anyway, come down this fall if you have a chance.  We have two micro-breweries here but we haven't turned into Destin, yet.  We are fighting development but I'm afraid we will lose to greed sooner or later.
Ron

PJ

I just got back Saturday from this years Florida  120.  There were several Suncats, a newer Legacy, and our Horizon Cat.  Go to the FB link below for event photos.  This was my second year, and I will be back next year if possible.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/111721198850079?multi_permalinks=2285850618103782&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1558562505868831&ref=m_notif
s/v Good Tidings

PJ

If anyone is still interested in a Florida Panhandle gathering. The Florida 120 group will have an informal event early November for the season end Blue Angels airshow.  So far about 10 boats signed up, expect about 20 total.  Several days sailing/nights on hook around Ft McRee .  Here is a link to the FB discussion.  Your invited to join the group page and event.  There usually will be a Horizon Cat and several Suncats ...
https://m.facebook.com/groups/111721198850079?view=permalink&id=2467861029902739
s/v Good Tidings