a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder painted

Started by captronr, March 28, 2019, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Over the past couple of years, the prop managed to mate with the rudder on my eclipse.  Mostly cosmetic damage, although one ding on the top of the rudder did cut down to fiberglass.

I sanded down the blemishes, and then not having a fiberglass repair kit, just put some 2 part epoxy on the top of the rudder where cloth was showing.  Sanded that smooth once dry.  Used 220 sand paper in my orbital sander, which will forevermore have a tint of red on the yellow frame.

Ordered a gallon (smallest size they had of the red) of bottom shield, which is what I think Compac used.  Hated paying for a gallon, but for orders over $100, shipping was free--nice considering that this was shipped as a hazardous product.

It took a long time with a large paint tool in my drill to mix the paint.  Applied it with a 4" wide roller.  Some areas of the edge might need a 2nd coat, but I'm happy with the results.

I have one spot on the keel that needs touching up, so will try that prior to launch.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Rudder looks great Ron.  I think I may get one more year on my bottom paint/shield.  I will use the same stuff since it matches well.
Heading home this Wed, with a stop over for a granddaughter volleyball game in Louisville.  I should have the only sailboat at the volleyball tournament. LOL  Home by Monday.
Sailing today for the last time this season.  Saturday, pulling the boat apart getting it ready to travel the distance.  When is launch day for your Eclipse?   Sail On - Al