a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Suggestions

Started by MGS, January 09, 2019, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGS

I need to purchase an outboard for my new CP19.  Do I need a 25" shaft or will a 20" do?  I was thinking 6hp since I'm in coastal waters.  What's your recommendation?
Chincoteage Island, Virginia

philb Junkie19

Congrats on your new 19!
If you are outboard shopping I'd suggest the 25 inch shaft. I am so much happier with the extra long shaft outboard that replaced my 20 inch on my cp19. Most of the time the 20 was just fine but there were occassions when it would cavitate in a steep chop when I needed to make good progress. Both my outboards are early 1980s, 2 stroke and 7 1/2 hp.  The one I am currently using is a Johnson sailmaster. Despite its age it has been very dependable. (knock on wood) Its only quirky feature is that it always takes about 8 pulls to start when cold.  A six hp outboard pushed my 3200 lb O'Day 23 just fine on a large lake where I sailed. I was happy with an 8hp on a 5000lb Albin Vega for coastal sailing. I'm guessing the 6hp will be fine for your 19.

brackish

My 23 calculates to have the need for 5.6 HP for hull speed.  I initially had a 9.9 electric start four stroke that came with the with the boat.  It was too heavy, caused stern squat, shipping water up the scuppers, and difficult to remove for travel.  I bought a 6 hp Sailpro with a 25 inch shaft.  The aforementioned problems gone.  No electric start, but it will pull start easily, usually taking two or three pulls even if left idle for months.  I never run it dry, never disconnect the fuel line unless I have to fill the tank, only use non ethanol gasoline and put a spot of sea foam in it, and pour it in my truck if a tank sits more than six months.  This process has allowed me to avoid the normal problems with these little carbs.

I  would suggest you resist the normal tendency to overpower.  The Sailpro would probably be fine for your 19.  It is, after all, a sailboat.

Sailpro, in the Nissan version, now comes as propane.  Same displacement as the gasoline, but the HP is derated to 5 because of the BTU difference in the fuel mixture.  If I were doing it today for a 19, that is what I would get.  Unlike Lehr it is a proven name with parts availability worldwide.

slode

I'm running a 6hp Tohatsu long shaft on my Eclipse, about same displacement as CP19, and it pushes her to hull speed under 1/2 throttle in calm waters.  Plenty of power, I wouldn't go higher.  Brackish is spot on with fuel use/storage advise.  I prefer Sta-Bil over Seafoam but it's doing the same thing.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

MGS

Thanks for all the good info.  It appears that Sailpro is the only one offered in a 25" shaft, which is a big investment.  I can find used 20" shaft motors (at 1/3 the price of a new motor), but will they work.

Will a 20" shaft small motor be sufficient with the CP19?  Any one running one?
Chincoteage Island, Virginia

wes

With a short shaft you'll find that any time you shift your weight forward of the cockpit the prop will come out of the water. It's also likely to do this in a choppy sea. The 19 unfortunately has a high freeboard for a boat of this size.

I can't say this has ever caused me any motor damage but it's very disconcerting when it happens. I'd consider a long shaft to be a must-have. You don't have to buy a new motor; there are lots of used ones on the market.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

I am running a long shaft (20") 1998 Yamaha 8 hp 2 stroke twin, 59lbs and it's perfect for this boat.  The 6hp version is basically identical with the exception of tuning (reeds, carb settings mostly).  Both are the same weight.

However, I'm on a small lake with very little current, no tide and waves won't exceed 2 ft.  I have sailed on a larger lake with bigger seas, and didn't have any trouble with the prop coming out.  However, I'm sure it would with any larger waves.  It's generally advised to go as long as possible, especially if you are expecting any seas beyond about 2-3 ft.  And if you are on deck often to anchor, especially solo, this situation may cause the outboard to come out.  You don't want the water pump to run dry too much, so this is another case for an ultra long shaft.

Personally, I like two stroke twins for their smoothness, low weight and reliability.  "Mileage" isn't as good as 4 strokes, but it doesn't matter to me on a small lake.   However, I've had reliability issues with 4 strokes related to ethanol and spark plug fouling and had to rebuild carbs far too often for my taste. 

How are the waves in your body of water?   Are there local outboarded sailors nearby that you could ask about their setup?

Don't be afraid to travel for a deal, too.  I drove about 100 miles to buy (used) my outboard.  And another 40 to sell the Nissan 6hp 4 stroke that I absolutely hated.  Not a big deal in the end.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Reighnman

Think it comes down to your realistic traveling range and conditions. If you're gonna head down 20 miles in 25knts on the bay then the 25in 6hp might be good insurance if you've gotta run back into that chop. Given the age of most 19's you might be in the market to replace the outboard bracket which could increase your vertical drop too.  I had a 4hp 20in Yamaha and loved the engine and never had trouble with it popping out but did find reverse a bit lacking. Keep on eye on Facebook market for outboards, found a Tohatsu 3.5hp last fall for cheap. The hunt is always fun!
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

I have a Tohatsu (affectionately named "Sue) on my 1985 23/2. 6 hp, 4 stroke, 25" shaft and I couldn't be happier. Of course being a single cylinder Sue tends to vibrate more than my old Miss Nissan, size 82 cylinder. the 25" shaft is a must, my old Miss Nissan was a 20" shaft and would cavitate when riding through waves.
  Sue sips fuel, never complains, and usually starts on the first or second pull and we easily reach our cruising speed of 5 knots max with about 1/3 throttle. I know the 23 has a theoretical hull speed of 6.02 knots but 5 max feels right under power. Yeah, Sue is a keeper!!
  Hope this helps you!!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

82 cylinders, Oh My!

My 19 sports a 2006 Yamaha LS 4hp 2 stroke,  sips gas, hull speed at 1/2 throttle, and is RELIABLE.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

philb Junkie19

Yes, these 6 hp sailpros are attractive but price got me shopping used. Find a dependable used 20" , 6-8hp and go sailing. Sell the 20 or have a spare if a used 25 shows up later. The 19 I have is a 1983. It was sailed, apparently successfully enough, in New Hampshire and Maine bays, river mouths and cosasts for over 30 years with the original 1983 7 1/2 hp, long (20in) shaft. When it died I bought an '82  8 hp long shaft and used that for several years until I found the lightly used, '83, 7 1/2hp, freshwater, extra long shaft Sailmaster.

Bob23

I should add that I was able to buy my Sailpro used with only a few hours on it. Local here in NJ.
Tim, yes- this is a rare 82 cylinder model...I'm glad I don't own Miss Nissan anymore- spark plug costs were killin' me!

kickingbug1

wish I could agree with everyone regarding a 4 hp merc. mine starts up but has never idled correctly. after three years of messing with it I have put it up for sale on craigslist. funny how I can put any kind of fuel in my Silverado and it will run just fine but in what is essentially a lawnmower engine -----not. you would think that its a Ferrari. im going to get a two stroke if I can find one
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Jackrabbit

Ah, those teensy-weensy little carbs with their tiny passages are very susceptible to ethanol-induced gunk.   Had this problem with a Honda 2.3 - tried to clean the carb but the passages are so small they are nigh impossible to clean using a spray can of carb cleaner (had to bring it to a dealer for ultrasonication).  My understanding is that the newer 4-stroke 4 HP mercs suffer from this issue.  I suggest you use high test gas without ethanol, if you can find it.  In Canada this can still be had through Esso gas stations

"Restless" came with a 2002 6 HP 2-stroke merc which runs very smoothly, delivers plenty of power and just sips a wee dram of gas to get in and out of the harbor.  Carb sometimes gets gummed up toward the end of the season from old fuel just sitting in it all Summer.  But at least its easy to clean by conventional means, and will even respond to a good spritz of Seafoam.

Finbar Beagle

Still very happy with my Torqeedo 1003, but I do not reach hull speed, and only use in tight areas.  It is an acquired taste.  Love the simplicity,and the lack of gas can...

Should have it, and the extra batteries, paid off this decade or next...
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ