a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

BARNEGAT BAY BASH #13

Started by Bob23, January 08, 2019, 05:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Ok mates...so it's freezing out. So there may be snow on the ground. So all our sails are folded and boats tucked away, wrapped up in their winter jammies. Never too early to think about the 2019 BBB #13. According to my math it's #13 but math was never my strong suit.
  So although it's way too early to form concrete plans, lets kick it around. We do like planning around full moons so I'll consult my 2019 edition of Eldridge. Stay warm me hearties, keep the toddies hot!!
Bob23

Reighnman

As I and me liver suffer through dry-January, we dream of hot summer days and strong rums. 
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

K3v1n

So do we have a working date? TOYC is meeting this weekend to set racing schedule and was hoping to leave the BASH weekend open.
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Reighnman

Not sure how you picked dates in past years but the full moon dates are Monday June 17th, Tuesday July 16th, Thursday August 15th, and Saturday Sept. 14th. Father's Day is June 16th so I'd be out for that weekend and the following weekend starts mandatory family vacation in OC, NJ.   

Bob23

If we are limiting ourselves to the full moon, we are really eliminating a lot of nice weekends. The weekend of August 16th is looking ok to me...but it's really early to be deciding on a definite date for the Bash. But let's keep the ball rolling and we where this goes. The weekend of July 12th, I'm out of town for my 5th Blackburn Challenge so that's out for me.
Cheers, mates!! Summer's comin'!!!

MKBLK

Full moon? I may have to buy extra razor blades!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Ha! Your secret is out! I thought I saw some resemblance!!

Reighnman

Officially had enough of this winter. 6 weeks till boat work commences so in the meantime it's a youtube life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWZBjJpiYlQ

Bob23

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

August 15th is looking real good.

Floatacella is sat july 27.  We plan to be at Tices for the craziness, so if you southern rebels are on the bay, let's plan to raft up.

Maybe we can find a date in June for Northern bay gunk holing.  You big boats (23'+)  hit open ocean, head north, enter the point pleasant inlet, pinball though the canal.  I shall wait at Mantloking bridge, with fresh ice.  Maybe even an unopened PBR and some Kracken rum first aid.
Or we look for casual June afternoon to meet up off Toms River...

Plan for next BBB is to sail Terrapin 19 down for a few extra days before and after.  Newphew may skipper the Picnic Cat.  Not sure if we will overnight at tices, but should have room for 2 if anyone does not want to tow their boat down.  This may give flexibility to out of towners.  I believe Perter G might have a good recommendation for local B&B.

Lots of time to plan, and to wing it at last minute after seeing the weather forecasts...
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Reighnman

Interesting idea. I'll have to read about the inlet/canal. How is sailing up there?

Finbar Beagle

The point pleasant canal can be exciting.  Best to hit it with the tide behind you, and you behind 2 other sailboats.  Most of my boats have been notoriously underpowered, for you and your diesle, it should be ok.  Flow can be 3+ knots and no place to turn to wait for the bridge to open.  Forward and reverse only.

Manasquan inlet is not bad, and usually a fun surf in.  Boat traffic jam at the RR bridge, but in shelter water.  Manasquan river is too shallow, so motoring is a must.  After the canal, the Metedonk river is not wide,but is deep enough to sail.  Some good anchorages, pubs, and windward beach, where they have a summer concert series, with huge raftups.

Northern Barnegate bay will require close watching of the charts.  Even my 19 rudder will mud drag ever now and then.  I think we have done a good job on locating the Sandy Hurricane debri, the Mantolking bridge is where the Atlantic broke into the bay.  The east side of bay is shallow.  Kettle creek and especially silver bay offer a little bit of good sandy bottom anchoring.  But expect and plan for the thick black mud bottom in the deeper spots.

Your 25 will need all bridges to open.  My 19 scoots under. Toms River is deep, and you can get a transient slip in town.  Some good restaurants and a bay museum are there.

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Reighnman

Quite the salesman with that description of the canal as "can be exciting". Imaging 3 knot currents with boat traffic while waiting for bridges in a narrow channel brings other words to my mine! Sounds like there's a ton to do once past the "canal of death".  Like you said, plenty of time and many projects to be done.

K3v1n

Just to be clear, the 15th is a Thursday(full moon). So we would be looking at Aug. 16th-18th.
That looks good for me right now, no yacht club races planned.

So do we make it official?
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog