a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Another new owner HUll 118 ComPac 19'

Started by Fourwinds, December 09, 2018, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fourwinds

Hi all, thank you for accepting me into the group.  I just picked up HID ABV00118M83019 which I assume is hull 118.  I am not new to boats but I am new to ComPac so I could use some direction from your knowledge base, if I should be searching the forum or elsewhere for some of my answers, feel free to direct me.  I do promise to return the favors of knowledge as I upgrade her and get he back together.  I purchased the boat from the widow of the boat so I am searching for some basic answers on putting her back together. I will be racing her in a PHRF club series where we sail exclusively off shore, but fairly close to land.  Below are a few requests/questions.
- Looking for a rigging diagram for running rigging, particularly the main
   - Halyard routing
   - Outhaul routing
   - Cunningham routing
   - Topping lift routing (doesn't currently have)
   - Boom vang (doesn't currently have)
- Rudder is removed from rudder cassette, what hardware should attach this, bushings???
- Boat has only roller furling head sail (brand new and never used) and CDI luff track, I am looking to add the drum, does anyone recommend which model CDI, FF0, FF1, FF2?
- Transom drains/thru-hulls, mine look like residential plumbing parts, does anyone have the spec for this?
- Does anyone make a mast base plate that would go under the mast step to attach blocks and such?
- Would like to see how others have run lines for single handed, run back to the cockpit, since head sail will be furling, only need to run main halyard, back for now
- Is there a main traveler?
- Has anyone replaced the stock jib sheet winches with self tailing, what size or considerations?
Have more questions, but will leave it at that for now!

ComPac 19'
Hull 118 (I think)
Soon to have Honda 2.3
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Fourwinds

Did I ask too many questions....no response?
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Cruzin

Well welcome to the group and congrats on the new vessel! Post some pics if you can figure it out so we can check her out. I think you can find lots of the information you are looking for by searching the site. Most of the cockpits drains that I have seen are pvc pipe but seem to work fine. The routing of your halyards is listed somewhere here. I am sure others more knowledgeable will weigh in on your other questions. Best of luck and welcome! I would encourage you to call the factory and speak to them too they are great people!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Fourwinds

Thanks Dale,
I am searching and finding some answers, I will email the factory as well! 
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

philb Junkie19

My 83 cp19 came with a plate under the mast step. The outer edges bend up with holes to attach blocks if you are funning lines to the cockpit. I think it would be available from Hutchins. Nice to have a boat with the mfg still building.

wes

Garhauer is a good source for mast plates, www.garhauermarine.com. I used the MS2 model for my 27 but check the measurements to choose one for your 19.  They are Hutchins' OEM supplier for much of the hardware on new Com-Pacs. They do not sell through dealers or distributors - direct to the end user (and boat manufacturers) only. Outstanding quality and surprisingly low prices. I just installed one of their rigid boom vangs on my 27, solid build quality and less than half the price of a similar Harken product.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Welcome!

Dwyer is a good source for halyard organizing plates and much more.  They used to be the supplier of tabs to Hutchins, on the old models.  They have quite a few other mast/boom related hardware.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=19&familyName=Halyard+Organizer+Plates

With regard to vangs, quite a few long threads on the subject.  In this one, an entire BOM for making up one with info on attachment to a 19.  Some of the pics are missing due to the photobucket debacle, but if you need any of mine, request, I'll send them.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3737.0

Lot's of other topics on your list covered with a search. 

I think most of us didn't respond immediately because we were waiting for Bob23 to attempt to extort an exorbitant initiation fee from you without which he would not declare you as bonafide.  Don't worry about him, he is delusional but harmless.:)

Finbar Beagle

Four winds,

My CDI is FF1. 

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Salty19

Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll find the rigging to be pretty easy to figure out but there is plenty of info here to help.

Do you have standing blocks, cheek blocks and a type of cleat on deck to the lead the main and jib halyards?  If not, you'll have to add them.   Here is a pic of a CP19 with one:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/200902833348430232/?lp=true

Outhaul just attaches to sail clew, back to a small block pinned to the aft boom end then forward to a plastic cleat. I use a 3:1 with cam cleat here since I'm loose footed and there is a lot more pressure on the outhaul in that config.

Topping lift.  1/8" line, there is a small hole at the masthead, just tie a knot in the end to hold it there.  Run straight down to boom aft. Use some creativity to attach--I use a very small block and tie to that cleat so I can raise the aft end up way and out of the way.

The furler is more complicated, but it's not bad. THey sell blocks that clamp around the pulpit and stanchions to lead the furler line back to cockpit.  I installed a cam cleat on the outside coaming near the aft genoa track area to secure the line aft.  On my furler I still use the jib halyard so it is rigged as well, but with your CDI you won't rig the jib halyard at all.  But it might be handy to help raise/lower the mast. You MUST keep the halyards away from the furler near the masthead to avoid them getting tangled in the furler.

Mast step?  Is there no metal U shaped plate on deck? Should be at least the holes to mark the mounting location.

Rudder--use SS 316 bolts, 5/16" W or 8mm.  Use nylon washers on top and bottom.  Should already be bushing inside.   However, old boats like yours often need the rudder head drilled out and have new bushings installed, so don't be afraid to rebuild that area if needed.

I have a slick jib sheet setup and will find some pics. Do know that the winches are almost overkill on this boat, depending on how strong you are.  You might not even need them.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Damsel19

I am having trouble attaching a photo. My deck plate is from Pacific Seacraft. It is installed under the original hinge. Also the turning blocks, I used triples to allow for future options.
I currently have four lines run to the cockpit. Main halyard, jib halyard, spinaker halyard, and the boom goose neck down haul.
I have three clutches each side of the companion way.
My toping lift is fixed length with a small snap shackle tied in about 10 inches above the boom so I can just clip it in when I want to support the boom higher.
For single handing get a Tiller Clutch.
If you are using sail slugs on main consider mastgates.Com. Really helps with reefing. Boat sails great with one reef tucked in.
I donot have a vang, but have been considering a boomkicker.

Fourwinds

Thanks for all the replies and answers. As I spend a few hours getting her set up I may address a few of your replies specifically. You all will find that I will contribute to the general knowledge base as well, I love tinkering and sailing boats. Attached a pic of the old girl, the short tow to the club was uneventful, thankfully. Have her a good scrub and started to sort her out a bit. Tomorrow going to attach the rudder, replace some hardware, pick up a motor, and possibly prep a small spot in the keel that I want to fill prior to splashing her. Attached a pic of happy day, my 2014 Grand Cherokee towed her easily. I'll update you all as I get her fixed up. Thanks again for the replies. Tried to post a pic but it kept telling me the file was too large..
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

brackish

Quote from: Fourwinds on December 18, 2018, 03:29:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies and answers. As I spend a few hours getting her set up I may address a few of your replies specifically. You all will find that I will contribute to the general knowledge base as well, I love tinkering and sailing boats. Attached a pic of the old girl, the short tow to the club was uneventful, thankfully. Have her a good scrub and started to sort her out a bit. Tomorrow going to attach the rudder, replace some hardware, pick up a motor, and possibly prep a small spot in the keel that I want to fill prior to splashing her. Attached a pic of happy day, my 2014 Grand Cherokee towed her easily. I'll update you all as I get her fixed up. Thanks again for the replies. Tried to post a pic but it kept telling me the file was too large..

Resize method of posting pics:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=9472.0

method using google photos:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=9089.0

Fourwinds

Testing photo upload!
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Fourwinds

Quote from: philb Junkie19 on December 14, 2018, 08:06:53 AM
My 83 cp19 came with a plate under the mast step. The outer edges bend up with holes to attach blocks if you are funning lines to the cockpit. I think it would be available from Hutchins. Nice to have a boat with the mfg still building.

Found the same one at Garhauer, will be on the list of upgrades.  I want to set up the rig to be sure there is enough room in the turnbuckles.......can you post a pic?
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Fourwinds

Quote from: brackish on December 14, 2018, 10:38:50 AM
Welcome!

Dwyer is a good source for halyard organizing plates and much more.  They used to be the supplier of tabs to Hutchins, on the old models.  They have quite a few other mast/boom related hardware.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=19&familyName=Halyard+Organizer+Plates

With regard to vangs, quite a few long threads on the subject.  In this one, an entire BOM for making up one with info on attachment to a 19.  Some of the pics are missing due to the photobucket debacle, but if you need any of mine, request, I'll send them.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3737.0

Lot's of other topics on your list covered with a search. 

I think most of us didn't respond immediately because we were waiting for Bob23 to attempt to extort an exorbitant initiation fee from you without which he would not declare you as bonafide.  Don't worry about him, he is delusional but harmless.:)

Thanks for that info, I would love to see pics.  That thread your linked has all the pics removed.
My initiation fee will be paid in the form of posting my repairs and upgrades as I go.....ha
Thanks again
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3