a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hatch Board ideas

Started by MacGyver, December 07, 2018, 03:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

I'll take a few pics for you this weekend Jason.  My multi piece board isn't done yet but you'll get the jist when you see pics.

I like to think through projects and create several uses for them if possible.  With that said, I designed the hatch pieces with flexibility in mind.

Lower board has a center ring installed vertically to mount a compass.  A 2 1/2" leveled horizontal strip is on top to act as a step up to the deck. My knees have been banged around more than I care for from soccer and skiing in my youth.  This board will stay in place all the time except at anchor where it may be more convenient to remove it.   A small hole is present to mount a cell phone/gps/small electronics holder under the step.

I will use two upper boards.  One will just have a vent installed and will be used most of the time when away from the boat.  The second upper board will have a large cutout with screen and a shade/privacy flap installed.  When we move to Florida we'll want this!

These are all made of two layers of 4mm Meranti Marine Ply, 1088 grade, epoxied together.  I used your favorite epoxy--West Systems.  I let unthickened epoxy soak into the wood for about an hour, then slathered some epoxy with high density filler between them and used weights to hold the boards flat together.

The lower board is covered in 6oz kevlar fabric/epoxy (WOW this stuff is VERY TOUGH!!!).   The other boards are fiberlgassed with 6oz JP racing fabric (all from defender.com).  Another  1" wide ply layer is on the aft sides for a tight fit since the 2 layers is only about 3/8" thick.    It's amazing how strong these boards are. Laminated marine ply with fiberglass on boat sides is much stronger than it looks.

So the boards will act as dock and anchoring ventilation, a compass and electronics mount, a step up to the deck and of course keep the water out of the cabin.

I just need to cutout the screen area of the one top board, do some more epoxy edges, sand and paint then they will be ready.

I am a little worried that the lower board will be in the way sometimes--we'll just have to see I guess.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Damsel19

We have translucent acrylic. Not normal white plexi, but white that lets ligjt in. Gives privacy and light down below.
It is important to fit the seam with a step and not a simple miter between the boards so the top board sits on the bottom with out wedging against the frame. I have a second lower board out of starboard that has the compass mounted in it.
I do like varnish and have done away with some of the wood that didn't add to the look so I can justify keeping twelve coats of Flagship on the hatch frame and hand rails etc.

Pacman

I like wood hatch boards because they float.

I have retrieved a wood board from the water more than once.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Bilgemaster

I just hacked my 3-piecer companionway slats from a semi-decent piece of plywood I had laying around, sanded to fit, and slapped several coats of that Ace Spar Varnish I really like onto it. It's fine. Looks and smells eminently "salty" and keeps out the weather. It's a damned sight better than what I had for a companionway hatch when I got the Foundling, which was none at all. She was also missing the starboard side "L-shaped" slotboard, that the hatch pieces slide down into. This I fashioned from a piece of U-profiled wood once used to strap down stuff on a pallet. I rip-sawed it lengthwise to remove one side of the "U", gave it a bit of a sanding, stained it to sort of match the other original one still in place, and again, slabbered on a few coats of the Ace Spar Varnish. I used some sawed-down freebie Ikea wood dowels to plug the mounting screws' holes. Again, it looks and works just fine...Well sorted enough for the shambling likes of me, anyhow.

At the other end of the companionway hatch quality spectrum you've got to hand it to one of the other two Com-Pacs in my State Park Boat Lot, a truly adorable 23-footer that's far and away the prettiest craft on the scene. His gleaming companionway hatchboards and other woody brightwork all sport handcarved artistic reliefs and all manner of tasteful filigreed scrolling snoodlets. Thing of beauty, really...like a princess' headboard. I've no pictures, I'm afraid, but you can take my word for it: It's swell.