a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Rigging Manual

Started by slode, November 15, 2018, 09:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

When I put Sylvia away for the winter I decided to go through the running rigging in detail, measuring lengths, and getting pictures of everything.  When I bought the boat a year ago pretty much everything but the traveler lines were stripped down.  Halyards were run through the mast but both ends were just wrapped around the mast.  The factory manual was little help.  It took me a bit of research and trial and error over the course of the season to get it all setup right.  I decided, to save myself future issues, and to help any eventual future owners, that I would put together an addendum for the factory manual to cover all these details.  I also added some specifications that aren't readily available from factory documentation. I am posting this here to help other Eclipse owners new and old.  I learned a couple of tricks that I believe aren't the factory rigging that have helped me alleviate some of the frustrations had early on in the season, particularly with the traveler lines jamming on the blocks, and a simple cure to prevent the jib sheet from hanging up around the mast hinge.  I hope everyone finds this useful, and if you see any errors, omissions, or have other suggestions please let me know and I will edit as necessary.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eD6g6wO7O42zy6CP30UdaJvN1JA9weKF

Updated to show mast raising instructions and pre-launch checklist.  If anyone has anything to add or comments I'm all for suggestions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PAK5gunRswBET94mNC5z2O7ZhWRsz3as

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

Fantastic.  Great job.  It will no doubt help all of us.  Thanks

Jim in TC

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for last spring when we picked up our barely-rigged SunCat...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Napier6

Thanks, I am just in the process of ordering a new Genoa and have been thinking about rigging as well.
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

Eagleye

"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

TedStrat

Wow....really good stuff - thanks for posting.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

I have a question that in no way diminishes all your great work.  What is the reason why you have the cam cleat on the boom vang at the boom end rather than at the mast stub?  One of my first cabin boats came from the PO rigged that way.  While running off the wind I found I could not reach the control line at the boom. Now, of course, the Eclipse vang is set up to be part of the mast raising system so the tail is really long.  Just wondering what other sailors do too.  Thanks     Al

slode

Quote from: alsantini on November 18, 2018, 09:43:49 AM
I have a question that in no way diminishes all your great work.  What is the reason why you have the cam cleat on the boom vang at the boom end rather than at the mast stub?  One of my first cabin boats came from the PO rigged that way.  While running off the wind I found I could not reach the control line at the boom. Now, of course, the Eclipse vang is set up to be part of the mast raising system so the tail is really long.  Just wondering what other sailors do too.  Thanks     Al

Al,  I tried putting the cleat at the mast.  Two things lead me to the other way around.  First, I found that I had to adjust the cleat angle on the block all the way up to allow the line to uncleat at that position.  With the cleat at that angle it didn't work well for mast raising, and I didn't want to have to adjust it back and forth every outing. 
Second, when the cleat is on the boom end the line is an easy reach from the cockpit, and the excess drops cleanly into the cabin.  With the cleat at the mast I found it more difficult to reach up to get hold of the line. 

I usually set the vang before bearing off, and if it needs adjustment while on course I just sheet in enough to reach it.

alsantini

OK.  I keep it at the mast end so that the excess line is in the cabin.   Too many ropey things seem to capture my feet often.  LOL
I am not sure what position my cleat is in but I do not re-set it each time I step the mast.  When I am back in FL, end of Dec, I will check.
How about the rest of you?  Where do you have the cam cleat for the boom vang.  At the mast stub or at the boom?

slode

I thought of another reason to keep it at the boom that Salty19 brought up on my question of setup for downwind sailing.  The tail end can be tied off to the leeward shroud or looped on a midship cleat to act as a simple boom preventer.  Haven't tried it yet, but it seams like a simple solution vs. rigging extra line for the task.

slode

See modified first post with updated manual including mast raising and pre-launch checklist.

PJ

Well done, especially with the detailed photos!
s/v Good Tidings

Whisper

Hi everyone and happy Easter
I'm a newbie to this site and have purchased an Eclipse recently and transported her home to the bottom of the world Tasmania .
I've read the Eclipse Rigging Manual and congratulate Slode for updating the manual, much needed and very well done providing accurate info on the boats dimensions Etc.
I've sailed the boat a couple of times and found its really needed to have some systems changed especially for me . Not very athletic these days ,the Eclipse is a downsize but will keep me sailing .
I don't want to have to go up the sharp end when sailing and have added an anchor winch which may be overkill but enables me to raise and lower the anchor from the safety of the cockpit.
I've also changed the jib cleats to extreme angle cleats and made the jib sheets a two to one purchase.
I'm grateful for the info from the author in regard to the jib sheets catching on the mast raising extrusion. Good job.
I've been trying to set up the reefing lines and think that the leech reefing line needs to pass around the boom before going to the back of the boom so that the sail snugs down to the boom as well as pulling aft .
But the luff reefing lines are a little harder . If you don't use the reefing horns then the reefing lines tend to pull the boom down to the deck.
I think the answer may require a boom up haul like the down haul to stabilise the boom position.
It's nice to reef from the cockpit. And look forward to comments from others re this.
Thanks for the info
Des

slode

Is your Eclipse new?  We might have the two most extreme latitude Eclipses in the world!

I would agree that the reefing setup on the Eclipse could use some work.  It works and is simple, but takes a bit of effort to get the tack set on the hook and the clew tight.  You mention lines pulling the boom down to the deck.  Unless I have something wrong there are no reefing lines on the front end for the tack.  The tack simply hooks in.  There is a downhaul line but that doesn't pass through the reef tack, it's just for pulling the boom down to tension the luff, even with a full sail. 

There should be a knurled nut below the boom that can be adjusted up the mast stub and will prevent the boom from dropping too far when the halyard is let loose, it's lowered all the way when taking things down to allow the boom and sail to drop below the hinge.  But with the sail up it should be tightened a couple inches below the boom.  In any case the halyard sets the boom height and the downhaul provides the luff tension.  The nut is just there to limit boom drop when lowering the main, especially handy when anchored out to get the boom out of the way for entering & exiting the cabin.  I have even used it to hold the front of the boom a couple feet higher than normal for head clearance.

I find standing in the companion way is the best place to get everything done for putting in a reef while out on the water.  With the stopper nut set a couple inches below the boom, first make sure the boom vang is loose, center the boom, and drop the main halyard allowing the boom to rest on the gallows, let just enough halyard out to get the reef tack set on the hook.  Next pull the clew reef line tight and cleat.  Then pull up the reefed sail with the halyard.  If the downhaul was left as is the boom will raise to the same point as it was.  I agree that the clew line could use something to provide more down force on the leech.  Wrapping it around the boom may cause too much friction, I have been thinking about installing a cheek block on the side of the boom to bring the line down then back.

I have also thought about running either a full single line system or a two line with both cleated at the side of the boom to allow reefing without having to step into the companionway.  But I think I'll put another season in to iron out the details before making any modifications to the factory setup.

Whisper

Thanks for the quick reply .
No the boat is a 2013 build ,maybe no 67 if I'm right.
And yes high latitudes your about 44 north and we are 42 south actually at the bottom of Tasmania, in Hobart .
You look like you may have good cruising grounds .
There is no knurled nut under the gooseneck just a long pin to slide in which is ok I guess .
The aft leech reefing line is tied around the boom just aft of where the reef cringle is on the sail, then the line heads for the pulley at the back of the boom and enters the boom goes along the boom and exits down to the deck and leads to a cleat near the companionway .
The luff end just goes up to the cringle and back down to a block on deck and leads aft to another cleat near the companionway but on the opposite side .
I find the reefing horns a bit of a fiddle if I'm sailing by myself .
I have used single line reefing on other boats but found that there is a lot of rope to pull in and it's slow.
The mainsail does set the boom height but my sail is stretched and needs recutting ,when hauled right to the top of the mast ,the boom only just clears the boom gallows .
When I got the boat the mast was way overhead ,I guess to lift the boom end higher but it wasn't pretty.
I like the fact that you have juggled blocks and ropes to change systems without needing extra hardware. So well done ,I can see a lot of thought has gone into your systems.
Cheers Des