a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer axel replacement

Started by philb Junkie19, October 09, 2018, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb Junkie19

I see that the trailer axel for my cp19 should be replaced.  I'm only hauling the boat  a bit over 1/4 mile from home to ramp and haven't paid much attention to its condition. I'm hoping ( did i just say I hope or hop?) to change it over before I have to pull the boat in the next week or two.   It's a magic tilt with a 2in. square axel and a 69 in. hub face and 57 1/2 in. spring centers.  I was thinking that 3500 lb cap. would be right but haven't found one that is not custom and weeks away. There are some 2200 lbs cap. with that hub face and centers that can be adjusted with a saddle. That would be fine for the short haul but It's very unlikely I will be the last owner.

Anyone replaced theirs and have a suggestion?

relamb

On a 1000 mile road trip down I-75 to Florida, my wife didn't notice (because our CP16 was blocked from view behind our truck camper) that a tire had blown and come off the rim.  And then the rim came apart and wore down to the hub, and sparks were flying everywhere.  When other cars started honking and flashing their lights, she woke me up and asked "should I pull over now, or get off at the next exit?"
So, i know for a fact that you don't need a new axle, wheels, tires, or anything that rotates to pull a boat only 1/4 mile.  In fact, you can go several miles at 75mph !  Past that, you probably need a tow truck.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Damsel19

I did a 3500 torsion axle. My springs were also shot. My normal tow is a mile but I wanted the option for longer trips. After two years we finally took her to the Fl keys. I'm glad we did. The torsion axle was about a week out from the distriutor.
On BIG caution with torsion axles. They are generally set up so the torsion arm is a little bit inside the rim. This is a problem if your magic tilt is running 10 inch tires. I put hub spacers on that moved the tires out about 3/8 of an inch.