a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Downwind Options

Started by slode, September 26, 2018, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Has anyone with an Eclipse rigged a whisker pole & boom preventer to gain better downwind performance?  I'd like to explore this option vs. getting a spinnaker.

Having experience with beach cats I'm well versed in sacrificing angle to gain speed to get best downwind VMG.  But I'm finding this a frustrating endeavor on a keel boat with a <6 knot hull speed that you can't push below 130 degrees off apparent wind.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

brackish

not familiar with the Eclipse, but I think you should give it a try even if you have to use a makeshift pole to experiment.  I sail my 23 on a long narrow inland lake.  90% of the time regardless of the reported wind direction, it channels out of the south which puts me on a very broad reach or run to go up lake.  I have an asymmetrical spinnaker, but most of the time I just go wing and wing because it is easier to rig, particularly if I'm single handling.  The spin is nice, looks pretty, makes the boat go faster, but not so much that it is worth flying for a short sail if I'm by myself.

I have a vang on the main but have not needed a preventer.

alsantini

I have a pole on my Eclipse and really do not use it often especially during the summer when I am on a Lake.  I have used it on the Gulf during the winter.  The small genoa shows an improved angle but not much extra speed.  On my P-21, I had a 165 and using the pole really improved performance.  I think the Eclipse carries a 125 or so, and that is not a lot of sail to try and get out away from the boat.  Generally I will run wing on wing without the pole and get good performance.  Adding the pole probably adds slightly to the speed and angle.  Sorry no pics....

slode

Al,  It's interesting you say you run goose wing with no pole.  I've tried that and in light to moderate (2-7 knots) I find every time after there's a small gust and the boat accelerates the genoa collapses once there's no apparent wind left.  It's near impossible to keep it from just getting knocked behind the main where it flaps around utterly useless.   

I have a telescoping cargo bar I haven't used in years.  I think I'll rig up a pole to test out.    I'm a bit hesitant to do all that without something on the boom though.  I've had enough close calls and capsizes from accidental gibes on smaller craft.  In fact I just dumped my Nacra 5.0 on it's side in a race on Leech Lake in August when a gust hit quite a few degrees of where the wind had been from while I was rounding a mark.  The sail flew across and before I knew it I was in the drink.  It could have easily knocked me out if my head would have been 6" higher, and that's with no boom!  Of course the wind was 15-20 that day, so I don't think I'd be trying to goose wing in that in any boat.

But if anyone has suggestions on preventer vs. brake, or rigging of either, I'd love to hear what others have found that works and doesn't get in the way.

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Salty19

On my CP19, I use the tail end of the boom vang and tie off this line to a shroud and act as a preventer.  I forget the name of the knot (highwaymans?) I use which allows one pull of the tail to loosen the knot.  This way either I or crew can quickly release it.   I like this setup as there is one less line to worry about finding, rigging, and it's super easy to setup. 

As for the whisker pole, I mounted a 1" Ronstan track and adjustable track car spinnaker ring on the mast to use an attachment point.  It's very handy to adjust it up and down depending on the sail in use.  I also have spliced a thick (3/4") 8 strand line to it and use it as a handhold to climb up on deck and walk up the mast.  I also clip my drifter halyard shackle to it as well as an awning.    The little plastic rings supplied with the poles don't look too strong and with 3 headsails to chose from don't offer the adjustability needed.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603