a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mud Daubers in Fuel locker **YIKES**

Started by captronr, August 29, 2018, 09:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Getting a very late start to the sailing season here, but today went to the lake where the boat is stored.  Installed the new 5HP Tohatsu, and raised the mast.   When I raised the fuel locker lid to place the fuel tank, over 100 wasps flew out ANGRY! 

Fortunately, I had a can of mosquito spray near me, so I unloaded on them as they left their commune inside the locker.  It didn't seem to kill them, but did disorient them enough I didn't get stung...............

We hadn't planned to launch the Eclipse today anyway, so the wasp encounter signalled the end of the trip.

Plan to go back with a can of raid; and after the season, I'll duct tape over the fuel hose opening................

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

moonlight

A concentrated soap solution is easier on you, and the environment, than the RAID.

If you have a cool morning (<60F, may have to wait til November), that's the best time to catch them sleeping.

Or, set up a fogger.

I got stung in the yard today mowing the grass (barefoot), and found another nest in my lumber pile without adverse effects.

The kids and I are building a forge, some day, to melt down 30# of scrap aluminum and pour into the bumblebee ground nest also under the lumber pile (the lumber is up on saw horses, and some old roofing tin is held above the ground on some treated 4x4's below.  Firewood is on the old roofing tin.  The bumble bees are going under the tin into their hole).  They lit me up one day, and some of my kids, so we're kind of looking forward to making a casting of their nest...

brackish

I used to have a problem with common wasps building nests under the cockpit seats and fuel locker.  I found that rubbing the underside of those hatches with a dry bar of Irish Spring soap periodically keeps them from building nests there. 

Mud Daubers are more difficult because they build their mud egg nests all over the place and when you remove them it makes a mess.  Worst is on the mainsail under the sail cover which will leave a nice stain on the sail. 

You say 5HP is that a propane fueled unit?  Good for you if it is, however if gas keep in mind the dirt daubers will build nests under the cowl and be sure to tape over your air intake before you clean them out.  If you don't that fine dust will find its way into your carb and you will get to take it apart and clean it to get it to run again.  Clean the nests off, brush the bases, vacuum and then blow the motor with compressed air. 

captronr

No the motor is gasoline.  I know propane can be less maintenance, but I replace the fuel annually, run no-lead, and add stabil, so my gas motors tend to be no isssues. 

Before I went to stabil, every spring, I could count on issues getting the lawn mowers to start.  No longer an issue.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain