Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking For A CP16

Started by K3v1n, July 22, 2018, 07:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K3v1n

Looking to downsize.

Figured I'd add this here hoping I might find someone looking to trade up and sell their 16.

Thanks.
Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Mas

What!.......you guys have been steadily moving up? I do know and have said if we ever sell one of our boats, it will be the PSC first and not the 16. Just too simple, too inexpensive to acquire and keep, too seaworthy for her size, too easy to transport, launch and store. Sometimes less is more.

Many 16's out there but this one is my bet for best value, certainly not the cheapest but maybe the least expensive.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/74360

Hoping everything is good with you guys. You will be missed at the next party.

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

Thanks Rick, I have been looking at that one, only six hours away.
We figure to get the 'Big' boat one day we need to drop back 10 feet and punt and $ave.
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Mas

Totally get that. We hope we can continue to afford both boats. If you ever need a bigger boat fix, look us up, and you are welcome to enjoy the best value in boats out there....OPB's!   :)

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Little beknownst to the general populace here but our very own K3v1n began his illustrious sailing career with a humble CP 16! What goes around, comes around!!

Reighnman

There's a 19 at G. Winters. You looking to trailer or still have a slip?
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on July 23, 2018, 07:41:50 AM
Little beknownst to the general populace here but our very own K3v1n began his illustrious sailing career with a humble CP 16! What goes around, comes around!!

Many of us did! I actually asked the folks at Hutchins would they ever consider bringing it back, the reply was that they were too successful as there are soooo many still out there in good shape that they couldn't compete price wise with new. Pacific Seacraft, as most folks know, builds top quality boats named more than once by Fortunes as "Best in America" products and in Ferenc Mate's 'The Worlds Beast Sailboats'  both editions. Unlike many of the great boat builders in those editions they are still in business but almost went under during the 2007-8 financial debacle. One of the reasons for their continued success is their thriving restoration program along with custom work such as Jimmy Buffets new boat. (He had a Flicka as one of his first boats) If they depended on just new boats sales things might be a little tough as a new 31 outfitted like ours would run close to 400k. Ouch! A new Compac Legacy (replacement for the 16) costs well over 15k new with trailer and motor. Hard to compete with a good CP16 for2-4k that can be restored for so little.

Somewhere near Colonial Beach circa 1981 in our first 16:
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Wayne J

Here is a CP-16 in North Carolina with an asking price that caught my attention.  $600

https://outerbanks.craigslist.org/boa/d/16-compact-sailboat/6624734091.html

Looks like it may need new trailer tires and bearings.

Ill be vacationing down there in a few weeks.  If anyone wants me to go look at it, let me know (assuming its still available).

Wayne

CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Mas

Yup, that's pretty cheap! but know you like that my friend! One of the very early versions but still the same hull design as all of them. (actually 23's are the same hull design as the 16) Not sure it is the least expensive however as can drop some bucks on the trailer, wiring, motor, and always have been amazed as to what folks call "great shape" for sails. If original then quite tired even if they look clean.

Having owned both a Mk1 and now a Mk2 (Mk3 is the same with just a few changes that does not improve sailing) I prefer the later versions. I must admit, maybe I don't remember well but I do like the additional sail area (7/8 vs 3/4 fractional rig), ability to have different headsails, genoa tracks, bow sprit, hause pipe and compartment for chain and rode, roller for anchor, electrical, upgraded interior,  bronze hardware instead of composite, jiffy reefing instead of the horribly unreliable boom roll furling, and some two tone decks. I do know there is less weather helm and possibly they may point a little higher but really can't speak to that as it has been too long! They also changed up the structure on the decks and in particular the cabin top as the earlier models did develop some soft spots.

Guess it is all about what we all like to see in a boat. $600 is a good price as he is moving next week so priced to sell. I also bet that between motor, trailer, tires, better also figure sails, sail cover, and potential work to fix any leaks and cosmetic work, that you could easily drop another boat unit and still not have the Mk2, but then again it truly is about what we wish in a boat, less money vs features and condition. Great if ya can get them all!

Personally Wayne, I think you otta tow it back from vacation and own two! Bet you could fix her up or skip fixing your current one and keep one as a spare! Even better you can keep one at Regent. Heck bring it to CBMSG! Working to help another person get one as well who might keep it there. Just think 4 of them in one spot. Got two there now. Do I hear regular races?!   ;)

.....also if Kevin isn't interested, that price is right up Bob's alley. Heck he could leave it at Regent as well so the Admiral would never know! Wonder if she ever goes on this forum?

S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Wayne J

Yes. - if Bob sees the 16 in outer banks, I imagine we would have to find (an Outer Banks) wholesale source of PBRs!!

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Reighnman

K3v1n

That is a great price, but MAINE! :/

UPDATE:
Checking google maps and these two boats are only a half hour further away than the one in Clayton, NY.
Hey Bob, maybe we get a deal if we buy both?! :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Reighnman

There's a donut store, Holy Donut, in Portland that is worth the trip alone. The bacon cheddar filled one is solid gold. As for the boats, one looks like the newer sprite version.

Bob23

Kev, Portalnd Maine isn't really all that far, just leave NJ very early in the morning. Great beer in Portland, I haven't been in a while...bought the Guideboat there at the Maine Boatbuilders show.
  Hmmm...road trip for 2 boats...yeah, I can see divorce in my future!!