a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking For A CP16

Started by K3v1n, July 22, 2018, 07:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

Don't be lured by just price. Truly you will eventually have the same amount in it as the NY boat by the time you get a motor, and other items that come with the 91' Mk3. Heck just the roller furling alone makes that boat the ultimate in single handing ease (a little envy of that feature). Know it seems like a big difference in price and percentage wise it is but one of the truisms of boats is that the best value is the boat that the previous owner has done all the work!  The difference in price comes out to $4.25 a day for a year if you don't do anything to the cheaper boats and sail them motor-less and as is. Skip one beer every day for a year and sail instead!

Regardless, you are not going to have me discourage someone getting a 16! Still have fantasies about a yearly 16 regatta and race. Got two at our home marina now and working another. They just are such great values for what ya get. Now if we can just get this weather to take a break. :)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

It's easier to dole out money over time though than all at once. My first CP16 I purchased for 900 bucks off ebay. :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Bob23

I know a 16 is in my future...just can't see that far ahead! Unexpected expenses with the Porsche have gobbled up some $$.

K3v1n

Lesa said I can get the 16 in NY for the 3300, but I have to put a 'For Sale' sign on Dorothea....I'm not quite ready for that yet, maybe the end of August.
It would be pretty cool to have a Com-Pac 16 fleet race! Maybe a few years down the road we organize that along with the BBB or that becomes the BBB?
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Bob23

No worries, mate. Seems that 16's show up all the time. Why don't you put the sign on Dorothea and then when it mysteriously blows off at the exact moment you pull into the driveway with the 16....well, you know...stuff just happens!!

Mas

Trust me i do know the pinch of scarce funds as things are a bit tight right now. We were able to pay cash for our 16 but it took away funds slated for Interlude so had to delay some work on her, thus delaying her being ready to sail regularly for almost a year. Meanwhile we needed a place to stay, which she fulfilled, while we sailed the 16. We, as two retired teachers, couldn't begin to afford to pay cash even for an antique Pacific Seacraft so got a no cost reasonable boat loan. Kinda like a house payment, as no one usually can pay cash for a home. It does mean will pay more than the initial price cuz of interest, though tax deductible interest. We clearly could have purchased another 31 foot boat for a bunch less but had always wanted a PSC, a boat that could take of me, and a boat we could recover most of our monies if sold. Since they are still available new, it helps lift the value of used. Also I am not getting any younger and just recently got back into this thing called sailing. Couldn't afford to wait any more.

My suggestions about the 16's were meant to provide perspective on the best value.  A 16, if of good value, and you don't have to spend too much on her, can be sold for what you paid for her even though no longer made as the new equivalent cost so much, and frankly they are just nice boats.The only thing I would hold out for is a Mk2 or later if ya wanna keep her forever, or at least in my humble opinion after having both.  Anything after that is price vs condition and somewhat location. I did drive all the way to Mobile, Alabama for No Mas. I also was also prepared to walk away after such a drive. I simply considered it an adventure!

Even though No Mas ended up not being the right boat for us, had we not acquired her, this discussion probably would not be happening. For that alone I am grateful we owned her for the few months we did and get to know the fine folks on this forum! The first person I met was Pedro, who I will remain grateful for, as he has become instrumental in helping my return to sailing. I also blame him for pushing me over the edge and getting the PSC! For that i am also very grateful since i had always dreamed of one and frankly still had the paper brochure from 1989 about the new design from WIB Crealock, the 31. Interlude is an 89'. Don't ever give up the dream.

Don't consider it downsizing, consider it resizing, and I am prepared to be blamed as well for the purchase of a boat! Road trip anyone!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Reighnman

Ask for payment in bitcoins. That'll shorten the list of prospective buyers. I know someone with a 1984 blue hull without the sprit though. Seems they switch 1/2 way through the year to the mk2? I can ask him if he'd consider selling it. No motor, been sitting for 5 years. I asked him 3 years ago, and he wasn't ready at that point.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

Ryan: is it close by? Either Kev or me might be interested.

mr.jadkowski

I can probably swing up to take a peek at those 16s in Portland next week (maybe Thursday?) if anyone is interested. I'm also looking for a small (2.5-ish hp) outboard for my 16, so if there is a screaming deal in your area maybe we can work something out? I haven't found any great deals on small outboards near me.

Yamaha33410

I'll be selling my 16 soon down in Florida

Trailer/new tires
4hp Yamaha
newly painted
varnished all teak
anchor roller/extended forestay
new jib cam cleats moved inside on cabin top
some harken carbo blocks and fiddle block on boom
all new lines, large size for sheets, standard size for halyards, Sta-Set sheets, Sta-set X halyards
idacraft rudder new
two tone decks, all white above water line, beige kiwi grip non skid all new

ALL my boat hardware, equipment, PFDs whatever, cleaning out the garage

boat is currently garage kept

-Todd

trying for the 3500-4000 range
1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

K3v1n

Sounds like a great 16, but FLA is a bit too far for me. Thanks.
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Cevin c Taylor

K3v1n

My search has been put on hold for now. :(
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Mas

so.....does this mean you are hot on the trail of one or simply unable to let go of Dory?!   :)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

Okay I've done it! Dorothea is 'For Sale' First Ad has been placed on the Cape Dory owners site, hey, it's a start. So the CP16 hunt is back on! :D

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog