a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Centerboard sticks in up position

Started by matunucktuna, July 12, 2018, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matunucktuna

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a Sun Cat .
We finally launched it and set it on a mooring.
Everything has gone relatively smoothly, except for operation of the centerboard.
The centerboard does not lower when releasing the control line.
I had to dive under the boat and pull it all the way down.
When I pull the control line to raise the centerboard it does retract with a fair amount of effort.
But then, it will not drop again when the control line is released.
When under the boat with the centerboard lowered. it looked clean and clear of any obstruction or fouling. As much as I can tell by feeling up into the centerboard housing, all is clear in there too.
So, at this point, I'm thinking the pivot bolt may be too tight?
Is this something that can be corrected in the water, hor do I have to haul it out?
Problem is, when hauling out on the trailer the centerboard is blocked from lowering by the rollers of
the trailer. This is the first centerboard sailboat I've owned, so I'm a novice. (Although I've sailed sloops for 35 years).
Charlie

Christopher

Look at my Suncat post dated October 17, 2015.  It may shed some light on what your problem is.  What year is your Suncat?  Mine is a 2003 and at that time they used a stainless steel box that is open at the top with the centerboard inside.  I know they changed the design but I don't know what that is.

Good Luck,

Christopher

"Second Wind" 

Finbar Beagle

You may want to try to flush out the trunk with high pressure hose when Boat is in trailer.  Sand, grit, barnacle debris may be near pivot.

Not sure it will help, but relatively easy preventative maintainance.

Good luck,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

matunucktuna

Thanks for the replies. My Sun Cat is a 2000. Unfortunately I cannot checkout the centerboard housing when on the trailer because the keel sits on the rollers. I will probably have to have a boatyard lift it off the trailer to gain free access. The manual mentions a pivot pin and seals; is this accessible from inside of outside the boat?
Thanks
Charlie

Tom L.

I had the same vintage Sun Cat with the S.S. trunk mounted within the boat . I never had an issue with the board pivoting. The only things that can usually cause that is barnacles or other fouling in the trunk. Was your boat moored in the water, if so check the trunk and board very careful. If you have it lifted change the C.B. rope at the same time.
If it is clear from your diving inspection it could be that the board is bent. Hopefully not but worth a look-see. Some times a C.B. boat can run aground with the board down then slide sideways through the water and bend the board. Worst case it can be snapped.
I honestly can't remember if the pivot bolt was accessible within the cabin, I think it is you should see it with the floor boards removed. If you turn the nut or bolt the seal may be broke and you will have to re-seal that area.
A quick call to Hutchins will yield you the best info on what may be wrong. They are very helpful, with excellent customer service, no matter when you by one of their boats.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bilge Rat

If you are able to crawl under the keel rollers, can you shine your flashlight up into the centerboard well and see what it looks like? See if the you see any obstructions, etc?
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

matunucktuna

Thanks for the helpful replies. As suggested, I think I'll pull the boat out on the trailer and try to see if
I can see anything. If not, I'll trailer it to a boatyard and inspect it properly.
Charlie

matunucktuna

Update:
Well I just came back from having the boat hauled for the centerboard problem. There was very little fouling in the trunk. The yard power washed up inside the trunk, with centerboard down, just to be sure. Looking up into the pivot area, with a flashlight, all appeared normal. But the centerboard still sticks in the raised position. It doesn't start dropping on it's own until over 1/3 lowered. We sprayed CRC up into the pivot area and worked the centerboard up and down. Nothing helped, it's still sticking in the up position. The yard thinks I'll have to have the entire assembly replaced... very frustrating!
Charlie

Jim in TC

Puzzling and no doubt frustrating...unless the CB is bent? Now that you have it fully exposed and all of the information you can get, this would be a good time to contact Hutchins (again, if you were in touch earlier) to see what they can offer/suggest.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

stapes

Hi.

Did you ever fix your problem? BTW, it would be fun to sail together sometime. If you can figure out how to send a private message please send me contact information. Two boats make a fleet!

Tony

matunucktuna

While the boat was still on the trailer I decided to attempt a "work-around". I ended up drilling into the top of the centerboard housing, a short distance aft of the pivot point. I tapped the hole for a 5/8-18 SS threaded rod and mounted a handle on the end of it. To lower the centerboard I screw the rod down (about 3/4") until the centerboard drops on it's own. The centerboard is retracted normally by the line, after the threaded rod is screwed back to the up position.
Charlie

Jim in TC

Sounds like my kind of "fix!" I like it...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel