a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Issue with bottom paint chipping

Started by S/V Pathfinder, July 03, 2018, 02:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S/V Pathfinder

Hey everyone.  I recently acquired a 1994 CP 19 and I'm in love with her (my first boat!).  However, I am having an issue with the bottom paint.  It is an ablative that appears to be chipping off over most of the bottom, and the weird part is underneath appears to be bare fiberglass.  I assume it would originally have had a gel-coat or barrier coat of some kind, but there appears to be none.

My plan is to strip off the bottom paint, barrier coat it, and then put on a good hard bottom paint.  I picked up some Pettit products today.  Has anyone else had this happen?  The lack of a gel coat or barrier coat seems strange.  Any wisdom/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
S/V Pathfinder

brackish

It would have come from the factory as gel coat fiberglass, i.e. the gel coat is sprayed into a mold and then the hull is laminated in that same mold.  it would be the standard white color as the rest of the boat.  Most people who are going to leave their boats in the water for long periods of time apply an epoxy barrier coat (to prevent osmotic blistering) and then either a hard or ablative anti fouling coat (to prevent marine growth for boats in the water for long periods of time).  Hard is used for go fast boats, the racing crowd.  Ablative is used for those who winter their boats out of the water or trailer frequently.  Hard should not be used if you plan to trailer.  After a short period of time out of the water it oxidizes and loses its ability to prevent marine growth.

oft times the barrier coat will look like a dulled down version of the factory gel coat, either white or gray but without any gloss.

If you are peeling significantly, starting over would be good.  If you find you truly do not already have a barrier coat an epoxy barrier coat followed by an antifouling paint that is appropriate for your intended use.  If you are not leaving the boat in the water strip it, wax it, and add nothing.

S/V Pathfinder

Thanks for the info.

The interesting thing is that I went to two marine stores (West Marine and a local store) and had the employees at both stores recommend a hard paint even though it will primarily spend time on the trailer.  I had read that hard paints will de-activate if left dry for some time, but both said that this isn't true of modern paints.  I do plan to have it sit in the water for a week here and there, and in the future possibly for the summer so I'd like it to have a bottom paint.  Both stores recommended Pettit Unepoxy hard paint. Now I'm not so sure.

I've linked some photos.  Does that look like bare fiberglass to you?  Looks like I'll have to start over either way. 

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipPaYorjgC2tGXL_KFEJHg4o3zNGDoGnmZ6F53Vu

Thanks again.
Mike
S/V Pathfinder

Vipersdad

Three years ago I put 3 coats of e2000 barrier coat to a clean pristine hull.  [My CP 19-II]  I then put on 2 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat.  It is recommended for trailering, etc.

"Pettit Hydrocoat Waterbased Bottom Paint

Pettit Hydrocoat is simply the most advanced water-based ablative around. Hydrocoat offers multi season protection, self polishing technology, and easy cleanup. Hydrocoat's customers are satisfied each and every time. Not only is the performance of Hydrocoat unmatched in the marine paint industry, but you can skip the sanding when prepping, and it is environmentally friendly as well due to innovative technology of Hydrocoat that replaces the harsh solvents found in most bottom paints with water, resulting in an easier application and clean up, with no heavy solvent smell. Hydrocoat with stands frequent trailering, beaching, and launching. Use water to thin when necessary. Its innovative technology replaces noxious solvents found in most bottom paints with water, resulting in easier application and cleanup, with no heavy solvent smell. Hydrocoat's ablative surface wears away with use, exposing fresh biocides while eliminating paint buildup and the need for sanding. Its unlimited dry time to launch allows for painting in the fall."

I am very pleased with it.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

brackish

Quote from: S/V Pathfinder on July 03, 2018, 11:45:33 AM
Thanks for the info.

The interesting thing is that I went to two marine stores (West Marine and a local store) and had the employees at both stores recommend a hard paint even though it will primarily spend time on the trailer.  I had read that hard paints will de-activate if left dry for some time, but both said that this isn't true of modern paints.  I do plan to have it sit in the water for a week here and there, and in the future possibly for the summer so I'd like it to have a bottom paint.  Both stores recommended Pettit Unepoxy hard paint. Now I'm not so sure.

I've linked some photos.  Does that look like bare fiberglass to you?  Looks like I'll have to start over either way. 

https://photos.google.com/u/1/album/AF1QipPaYorjgC2tGXL_KFEJHg4o3zNGDoGnmZ6F53Vu

Thanks again.

I'm getting a 404 error on your link.

S/V Pathfinder

Mike
S/V Pathfinder

ChuckD

Getting a 404 error on your link, Mate.
CONGRATS on the new boat!

Chuck (just west of you)
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

brackish

still getting the error.  Do you have the album on open sharing status on your google photos?

S/V Pathfinder

It is set to open sharing...Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

At any rate I brought it to a yard today and had them take a look.  Apparently the gel coat on the boat has a strange finish. It is a brown color with streaks in it, so it didn't look like any gel coat I've ever seen.  Whoever painted it last didn't prep the gel coat properly.  The good news is that it is safe to spend time in the water until I get it painted the right way.

Thanks for all the help.
Mike
S/V Pathfinder

moonlight

Why apply $300/gallon paint to sit on a trailer?
Sand it smooth and unless there's an aesthetic purpose to the bottom paint, it doesn't sound like the way you plan to use the boat would ever require any paint.
A well applied barrier coat could be aesthetically pleasing (Interlux 2000E sands easy easy easy); antifouling bottom paint has a job, and you'll never foul sitting on a trailer...

S/V Pathfinder

I plan to keep it in the water for the summer starting next year. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with bottom paint.
Mike
S/V Pathfinder

MacGyver

I haven't seen the pictures but definitely use a barrier coat, although i highly recommend the Interlux 2000 system, all my years of repair work i have NEVER had issues with that, and it is more user friendly. then using directions on the 2000, apply that petit bottom paint, no problems.

Petit's barrier coat gave me all kinds of trouble no matter what i did to alleviate it, including having product batches sent back to manufacturer to ensure solidity.

They always left small pock marks after the first pull and inspection....... aggravating to me.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Potcake boy

Mike,

If you are refurbishing the bottom, then it's worth the extra work to apply a barrier coat. You will then have a durable substrate for your bottom paint. It will also serve to let you know if your ablative paint is ready to be redone. I have used Pettit HydroCoat for the last several boats, and have been very pleased with the application and durability of the paint. It also doesn't smell and is an easier clean up. I always (according to directions) dilute my paint with water at 10 percent, and wet the bottom prior to application. That technique gives a really smooth finish. I start with two coats initially then a single coat each season. You will have to scrub occasionally because the algaecide previously used has been banned.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water