News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

"Sassy" has a "scandalous" experience...

Started by Joseph, June 13, 2018, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

Ahoy Sailors...

Long time no see... just to let you all know that already in her 9th season "Sassy Gaffer" is still going strong... and even having some "scandalous" experiences:

https://thewakesileave.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/a-scandal-up-the-mast/

Wishing a great sailing season to all...

Joseph.
-------------
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat #365 (2010)
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Joseph

For those that cannot not access the URL in the previous message, here is a summary of Sassy's "scandalous experience":

Last tuesday "Sassy" was sailing full-sail in a broad-reach in 10-15 Kts winds. However, when gusts surpassed 20 Kts. she was overpowered. I resorted to scandalizing the gaff (i.e., drop it in front of the sail). This worked very nicely making the weather helm almost disappear. Then, when the wind dropped, the gaff was hoisted back up. Using a sketch from the sail plan of the SunCat I was able to determine that in the SunCat this manoeuvre reduces the sail area exposed to the wind to less than 60%. The manoeuvre is very simple and almost instantaneous, requiring the adjustment of only one line (the gaff halyard). Also, dropping the gaff does not affect the hoisting of the sail and the boom still remains clear of the gallows, permitting, if required, tacking and gybing (though the gaff needs to be elevated to tack to always tack ahead of the sail). Upon bringing the gaff down, the top of the sail first luffed violently, but eventually a fold in the sail reaching from the gaff tack to the clew of the sail became the new "leech" of the sail thus reefed. This, of course, puts a big stress on the fabric, which is why this manoeuvre should not replace proper slab-reefing ahead of the strong winds. However, in gusty unpredictable winds, as it was las tuesday, it proved to be quite effective.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Jim in TC

Quote from: Joseph on June 13, 2018, 04:41:13 PM
Ahoy Sailors...

Long time no see... just to let you all know that already in her 9th season "Sassy Gaffer" is still going strong... and even having some "scandalous" experiences:

https://thewakesileave.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/a-scandal-up-the-mast/

Wishing a great sailing season to all...

Joseph.
-------------
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat #365 (2010)

I read this with interest, having seen some suggestions from the Menger Cat Manual that one should never ever scandalize. But it seems such a useful tool, and maybe the Sun is set up more effectively for this maneuver, used as pointed out, with some discretion. I will try it next time I hit unexpected gusts (the boat is new to us but already has been laid hard over in an unexpected blow, though crew and ship were little worse for wear).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Joseph

For old and single-handed sailors (who often forget to slab-reef before undocking and/or do not wish to have to slab-reef during a blow) perhaps an idea would be to have the SunCat sail diagonally reinforced from the gaff goose neck to the clew... i.e., the part of the fabric that ends as  the new leech when the gaff is scandalized... Just an idea...

J.

"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365