a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Reefing Eclipse?

Started by waterwheels, May 29, 2018, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwheels

Ok, I know how to reef the main on my Eclipse, but I must admit it has never been very pretty.

Wondered if other "Eclipse" owners would share there techniques. Wondered how you would attempt single handed.

Would love to modify to reef from cockpit but with the boom not being fixed it seems to be more challenging.

Thanks in advance.

Don

alsantini

Don.  I have only reefed while single handed.  Never when I had people aboard.  My procedure involves a change in the stock clew reef.  I found the stock set-up would slip so I added a tang on the starboard side of the boom slightly ahead of the reefing cringle.  Opposite on the port side I have a pulley.  Forward about 2/3 of the way on the boom I have a clam cleat.  My reefing line goes up from the tang to the cringle down through the pulley and forward to the clam cleat.  When I feel the need to reef, first I roll up all of the Genoa so I have less pressure on the boat.  Point into the wind, lock the tiller, standing on the step inside the cabin, I open the spinlock for the halyard.  I can reach the reefing hook with my left hand and control the halyard with my right.  Once I hook the sail onto the hook, I lock the spinlock and get back into the cockpit.  I pull up on the halyard to get the luff positioned.  Then I pull the reef line as tight as I can get it and lock it into the clam cleat.  I do not bother with any reef lines through the sail.  Adjust the mainsail and let out however much of the Genoa I wish and go sailing! BTW, the downhaul should be set prior to reefing or the halyard will raise up the boom.  Al    Sail On

captronr

Hi Al,

Book #3 for you should be going through all the systems, such as Reefing, COMPLETE with detail pics and/or video. 

I read the words, but I feel like the village idiot--I can't grasp it all.

Same with the block on the gallows.................

Guess I need to bring my boat to FL huh?

Take Care,
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

I will not be at the boat for 10 days but when I am there I will put a reef in and take some pics.  It is hard to describe in words especially since many of the components have multiple names.  In the meantime put a reef in before sailing.  It is always easier to shake it out rather than put it in.

I head South for 2 days of teaching in Alabama, 4 days in Florida and 2 days in Georgia.  Sail On  Al

captronr

Thanks Al,

Good point, if in doubt, I reef at the slip.  Much easier..........................

Have fun teaching.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

waterwheels

Thanks Al,

I'm I correct you lower the halyard first, which would have the aft end of the sail resting on the boom arch? I have had trouble getting the grommet in the sail hook but realized the outhaul and reef line were both pulling the sail aft making it difficult to grab the hook.

I normally loosen the downhaul and boom vang first so I can give a little lift on the boom if required.

I know lots of systems have tangs (eye straps) and pulleys at the front of the sail with a cleat near the cockpit too.

Thanks again Al, I guess practice will make perfect.

Don

slode

Interesting subject given the experience I had trying to reef in heavy winds that kicked up on Mille Lacs last weekend.  I've been thinking about this since then and have an idea to turn the existing reef clew outhaul setup into a single line reefing system. 

Start a line tied off to the reef tack hook, run line through reef tack and down to block on front side of  boom, then back to a block on the far back side of the boom, up through the reef clew and down through the existing outhaul setup back up through boom to the existing cleat.  It would add a lot more line but only 2 pieces of hardware. 

My concern is getting it tight with any load at all on the sail.  But studying other single line reefing setups I think this would work.  Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome before I order parts and start drilling into my boom!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

waterwheels

Been pondering the same sort of setup. keeping the bitter end and cleat on the same side as the main sail halyard would be ideal.
I don't have a cleat on my boom but put a similar single line reefing on my former CL-16. I used a jam cleat which made adjusting fast and easy. I think hardware placement is something to give carful consideration to so it is all within reach.

Let us know how it turns out if you proceed.

Don