a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cetol Marine Teak on interior teak?

Started by Reighnman, May 07, 2018, 03:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reighnman

Anyone have actual experience applying cetol marine teak to the interior teak? The water staining on Freedom is just too extensive. I did a small test area and it almost made the water stain disappear. Is there a long term issue I'm not foreseeing?
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

wes

I varnished my interior trim to make it more mildew resistant (this works very well btw). It does also help with a more uniform appearance. I sanded first with 220 grit to get rid of the water stains, which worked well but be VERY CAREFUL not to sand through the veneer. Don't ask me I know this.

I used Epifanes Wood Finish, the "Rubbed Effect" version (also available in Gloss and Matte). The appearance is very similar to oiled wood but it's wipeable and mildew won't eat it. I thinned the first coat 50%: second coat 25% and third and fourth coats 10%. You don't have to sand between coats as long as you recoat within 72 hours. It dries quickly and is forgiving to work with.

Personally I don't care for the amber/orange tint of Cetol, at least for interior trim, and I think it obscures the natural grain of the wood since it's somewhat more opaque.

Wes

"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Reighnman

Thanks Wes. I used Ephifanes rubbed on the two cabin soles, and will do that on the stair treads as well. To varnish with a poly I'd have to basically hand sand the entire cabin with 220 grit which isn't on my short list of things to do in 2018. Plus like you said, one heavy handed slip and I'd be looking at plywood. You should take a second look at the Cetol Teak, it's really come a long way. My father applied it around 2008ish and hated the orange tint.  He didn't believe me when I told him my exterior teak was treated with it.

wes

Sure, I admit my experience with Cetol is a few years old. I actually used it on the exterior trim of my 19 and liked it pretty well for that purpose; I really wasn't trying to make it look like furniture; just wanted something that looked good from 20 feet away.

Are you thinking you'd apply the Cetol to the interior without any sanding? My teak had some kind of oil finish and I felt I needed to thoroughly clean and sand to make sure the varnish would adhere properly. Maybe the Cetol is more forgiving. Let us know how it works out!

One other note, I used the "Matte" Epifanes product on my sole and companionway steps and inside the head compartment. I felt it was a tougher finish that would stand up to foot traffic and water splashes better than the "Rubbed Effect" flavor. The difference in appearance is very subtle; I'd defy almost anyone to tell them apart unless they are held up side by side.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Reighnman

I was hoping to avoid sanding. Plan to clean with murphy's oil & double sided sponge, then degreasing with mineral spirits after it dried to remove all oils. Perhaps acetone would be better? I feel cetol is much more forgiving then a true poly.

I would have gone with the Matte but had a 1/2 quart of Rubbed leftover. I did apply 4 coats of a spar high-gloss before applying two coats of the Rubbed Effect. I diluted the spar high gloss so that it penetrated into the wood and was easier to work with. I did sand that and think there's basically 1mm of teak veneer left! As always, thanks for the advice and the interior of Sophie looks great!