a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New product

Started by rbh1515, March 25, 2018, 11:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1%7C135%7C2290132%7C2290134&id=4200059

It's an electronic flare...don't have to buy those regular flares every few years.
I bought mine on sale at a local marine store
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

I think these flares are $139.00 each. Plus you would need three minimum or $417.00. Correct?? Way out of my price range. My 12 Ga. flare gun uses shells that cost $27.00 for four.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Finbar Beagle

No, you only need 1.  As soon as my flares expire, I am getting one.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

rbh1515

Lists for $99.00.  Got mine 15% off at local marine store.  Only need one for your boat(s).  Just replace 3 C batteries each year.  I'll keep my other flares.  They typically work fine for a number of years after expiration.

Bob23

Bought mine at Defender for about 100 clams. Love it...safe, doesn't expire.

rbh1515

Looked at Amazon....$85.95 with free shipping.
Rob

Tom L.

I checked out the link. The first time I looked up electronic flares, but the link is for a hand held light. It's true only one hand held light is  needed. But I believe hand held lights near the horizon ( maybe 9 feet off the water) are nearly impossible to distinguish from other surface lights. I am sure they may be brighter but a flare over the horizon will attract more attention. Hang on to your old flares they may be out dated but will most likely last years.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Finbar Beagle

Tom,

Valid point, so depends on local sail conditions.  I am in landlocked bay, with heavy boat traffic.  So these makes sense for me.  If I were coastal sailing, I see the value in the Flares. 

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

wes

Truly great product. It's a strobe, not just a "light," and it's incredibly bright. Doesn't ever expire, plus you can't set yourself or your boat on fire. I love mine; thanks to Charlie for recommending it to me.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

hoddinr

Finally a product that meets the requirements of the Coast Guard, and doesn't require replacing every few years!
I'm going to get one, since that's the one thing that would always keep me from passing CG inspection. 

Ron

wes

Anybody who thinks they love flares but hasn't actually set one off ought to go out in the back yard and give it a try. I did. Geez, blazing hot molten goo dripping everywhere. Very exciting, and I don't mean that in a good way. Not really what I want to be doing on a tossing boat in a howling wind. I'm happy to have a battery powered option.
Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rbh1515

I'll have to admit I've never tried my hand held flares or my 12GA flares.  I have heard they typically last for years after expiration if stored well.  Now I am tempted to try them out.  I really like the idea of the battery powered unit and am glad I bought it!
Rob

rbh1515

Amazon:  $85.95, free shipping

Tom L.

Wes, you are absolutely right. Try out those flares before you need them. I use to get the hand held flares years ago but like you described they are very dangerous to use so I carry several shot gun type flares cartridges for my launcher. I have at lease four up to date and several expired but they are reliable. The biggest draw back to the shot gun style flare cartridge is they don't last very long. When one of those go up and someone is looking your way it's definitely recognizable as a distress signal.

Tom L

relamb

Make sure you use the long shelf life lithium batteries, and carry spares.  Some are good for a 10 year lifespan.  I have this same electronic strobe, and also smaller ones to pin to all the life vests when sailing at night.  But I also carry lots of handheld flares, 12 gauge flares, and smoke.   I've got a large supply I've kept over the years and inherited from previous owners of boats that I've bought.
The reason they're dated is because they sometimes quit working as they get old.  I've had some flares up to 15 years old, and only about half of those worked.  with 12 gauge flares that are 5-10 years old, about 1/3 of them fail to do anything when fired.    I keep a decent supply in the boat, and the rest I "test" usually on the 4th of July, it's illegal to shoot them off when there's not an emergency, although far inland it may not make a difference.  Just don't catch your neighbors roof on fire shooting off the flare gun!
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN