a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Tent

Started by 49captain, March 08, 2018, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

Has anyone used a boom tent on an HDC?  I would like to do some coastal cruising and prefer to sleep in the cockpit.  I often did this on our Island Packet 29 - I prefer sleeping out.  In Florida some protection from dew, mist and drizzle is often needed.

The problem with a tarp-type of tent is that the sides come down to the coaming which drastically reduces headroom anywhere but right under the boom.  I'd like to use an arched tent, and there are several on the market.  I'd just like to know if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks.
Ron

rbh1515

I bet most HDC owners are day sailors...you may not get many responses.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

captronr

Can't speak to how to make the tent, but if you can design/build your own structure, an outfit called Lee's sail covers will make you a cover out of a great material.  Can't recall the name, but it's heavier than sunbrella and has grommets sewn into to secure it.  It is not cheap, but I bought an 8x10 ft one for about $400 about 5 years ago and it's still as good as new.  One grommet has pulled out, but otherwise, great.

It's spent the summers protecting our cockpit all summer long.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

PJ

I made one out of silnylon using fiberglass  tent replacement  poles that have bungee shock cord  to help unfold.  Nylon webbing  material was used   to create   pockets for tent poles.  To setup requires six lines.  One each to port and starboard   side stays, one to mast, one to aft end of boom,  ,  and  one to each aft cleat.  The poles and silnylon lay  over  the boom,  the lines are tensioned creating an arch in the poles and silnylon.  Covers the entire  cockpit  and companionway on my  SageCat.   I will build  the same once I find a Horizon  Cat to buy.
s/v Good Tidings