Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging the Spinnaker

Started by Vectordirector, February 07, 2018, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

Hi All,

We decided to take the never used spinnaker out of the box and see if we can figure out how to rig it.  Got it figured out except for attaching the tack to the boat.  It has a 6 ft. or so line attached at the tack, and a small block on the bowsprit that I assume that line goes around but can't figure out where to tie it off.  Arthur has experience with traditional spinnakers with poles but is flummoxed with this one. Help please, and if possible pictures always are helpful. 

I don't know how many of you have the sail and use it, I would be curious as to if you think it is worth using.  Can you say what kind of wind angles it is effective with?  I find the boat is horrible straight down wind in light air and usually jibe back and forth to make progress much like tacking upwind.  My understanding is that these types of sails do not help with straight down wind and are more like a screacher or a code 0.   

If winds are under 8 knots , is the spinnaker worth the effort of setting it on this boat?  I don't think I need it in more wind than 8. 

I guess I'll find out. 

Thanks,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

captronr

When you figure it out, pls post about it. 

My boat came with one still in its packaging.  I figure I need to manage learning the other two sails prior to dragging out this one.

I'd be especially interested if you could rig/derig from below deck.

Thks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

brackish

The Eclipse may be all different, but I originally rigged my asymmetrical with an adjustable tack as you seem to have.  Never used the adjustment, so I added a triangle ring to the anchor roller strap (do you have one?) so a flat is on the strap and hook a snap shackle to the angle using one of those dyneema climbing web strap loops (very strong and light).  I also use two of those loops with blocks attached that will quick connect through the aftermost cleats on the stern for the sheet(s).

I do use mine in light air down wind and often just leave the main covered (see my profile avatar) moves the boat well.  It will get within about 5-10 degrees of straight down wind and carry up to half way between a broad and beam reach effectively. So you can go a fairly long way without having to jibe which is kind of a pain. I have a sock which makes it very easy to pre rig and douse, don't know if I would use it much if I did not have it.  With a little stronger wind I usually go wing and wing with a poled jib.  That is actually easier to rig than the spin.

Lots of experience with down wind, my lake is long and narrow with elevated banks creating a venturi effect so most of my destination sailing is either down wind or a beat regardless of the wind direction away from the lake.