Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Raising at the Ramp Video?

Started by Brent65, February 06, 2018, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Hello Eclipse owners,

I've been lurking here for a few years now, always trying to learn more about trailerable sailboats and how easily they travel and rig at the ramp.  Might anyone who owns an Eclipse be able to video a standard mast raising of their Eclipse?  It would be extremely helpful to see it in real time.  Nothing fancy, as long as it takes, just turn on the camera and let me watch.  This would be very helpful.

Best,
Brent
Idaho

alsantini

Brent:  We would all love for you to become a Com-Pac Eclipse owner.  Sorry, I have never video taped mast raising, but there is a short video on you tube titled Sailing a Com-Pac Eclipse with a Spinnaker.  It shows the captain with the J pole in place using the boom vang to raise up the mast.  Not the best but....
I would be happy to field a call from you if you have additional questions.  Always happy to talk sailing and the Eclipse.  Last year I raised and lowered the mast 22 times according to my log, so I have some experience.  I have owned #49 for 4 years and feel it is the best sailing and traveling boat I have owned (8 so far).  Please feel free to PM me through My Messages and I will PM you back with my E Mail address and phone number.  I have written a How to Raise a Mast on an Eclipse that I can send you also.    Sail On   Al

captronr

Al, you might need to revise your instructions, using my "stoopid things to do while raising your mast". 

Not rigging the pole properly, and you break the tang off.

Not making sure your stays are free and bending the mast raising system.  Hint:  If you have to apply more than a modest pull on the raising system, you're gonna break something.  Think the power of a 10 year old scrony kid--that's the max to use.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Ron.  We need to compile a list of stoopid things I have done (recently....)  LOL.  or maybe a video?

captronr

Just writting it down allows more anonymity, which I'd prefer.

Reminds me a little of the "de-motivational" poster that said something like:  Your life might be nothing more than a bad example to others...........

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Brent65

Thanks Al,

I've sent you an email with my contact information.  Looking forward to visiting with you.

Best,
Brent

TedStrat

Brent, I raise the mast manually by "walking it up" with help of anyone who's with me when I have to step up to the cabin trunk (the hard part). I've even done it once by myself (which I don't recommend). Manual raising is not easy but not horrible either. It's a great system and safer and I think a lot easier if you use the boom vang, which I plan to learn this season so I can raise solo.
(Al I will pm you too for those instructions if it's ok!)
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY