a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat Motor mounts "cracking?"

Started by hoddinr, January 12, 2018, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

A friend just bought a SunCat and the dealer told him that the plastic motor mounts will break off at the bolt line, dropping the motor in the water. 

Sounds fishy to me.  I've never heard of that happening.  His is newer than mine, and I've seen much older SunCats with original motor brackets.

How about it?  Ever hear of one breaking right where the screws hold the engine to the bracket?

Thanks.

Ron

rogerschwake

My Sun Cat is a 2004 with lots of highway miles on it. Replaced the motor bracket because the stainless angle on the motor bracket that bolts to the stern was cracked. When replacing the motor bracket also added a 3/4" plywood board inside the hull to bolt through. There were no backing plates on any of the hardware on my boat. Have been using the old rudder that is 3/8" aluminum plate to make my backing plates. If I remember right, someone wrote about this happening some time ago. If your friend is worried about this, fasten a 1/4" chain to the motor mount and padlock it to one of the clamp screws that clamp the motor to the plastic motor board. This chains the motor to the boat and detours someone stealing it also.

ROGER

jdklaser

Also need to replace the motor mount on my Sun Cat.  Who makes the unit Hutchins uses?  Using a 5 hp 4 stroke

rogerschwake

Found the one I used to replace mine on EBay, its the same one that came on my 2004 Sun Cat. All 4 the bolt holes lined up and I added 2 more at the top. It is $74.95 and description reads for 20 H.P. 2 stroke motors. I don't know why it only says 2 stroke, it works for my 4 stroke motor. Best way to get at the bolts is to remove the housing around the tiller. Used a multi-tool with a putty knife blade to brake the sealer lose. This gives you a lot of room to work and you can add a plywood backer board also. Good luck on your replacement job.

ROGER

hoddinr

So, JDKlaser,

Why did you need to replace you motor mount?  Did the plastic part break, or did it just wear out?

Ron

ghsfusioneer

I have no idea what your circumstances are for your boat, but if you store it in a salt water environment, a concern could be crevice corrosion of the stainless steel bolts where they are sealed from the air (deprived of oxygen)- like where the bolt enters the plastic motor mount.  I've seen this type of corrosion "hollow" out bolts and rivets in industrial equipment that is exposed to salt water.  Crevice corrosion looks as if termites had eaten the insides of the fastener.  If it's an issue with your motor mount, the stainless steel standing rigging might also be in jeopardy.  I think the specific stainless alloy and the environment in which the fastener is used are the primary factors.  This being said, I haven't experienced anything like this on my own SC sailed in brackish and salt water for 11 years.

jdklaser

internal metal parts bent and broken.  Need to replace unit.

rogerschwake

jdklaser I saved the old motor bracket off my Sun Cat. The piece that is broken is the angle bracket that bolts to the transom, the rest looks alright. If you let me know what piece is broken I'd be glad to send it to you.

ROGER

jdklaser

Appreciate the offer.  Internal adjustment lever is bent out of use and missing spacers and springs.  Upped to a 4 stroke engine and want a beefier backing plate.  I'll go with a new unit.  But thanks.  JK