a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Removing the sail on a Horizon Cat

Started by Subsailor637, January 10, 2018, 02:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsailor637

I have a 2014 Horizon Cat and I am completely at a loss as to how I remove the sail.  Really wanted to do that when prepping for Hurricane Irma but sort of gave up when I couldn't figure out how to slide the slugs out of the track.  I just hope I don't have to remove the entire top section of the mast.
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

rbh1515

I just did it for the first time this year...lower the mast, then you need to undo the hinge.  It's very easy.  Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

CaptRon28

You could also unscrew the 3 or 4 slugs from the sail and leave them on the lower portion of the mast.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Subsailor637

Thanks for the reply Ron.  Yes, it would be easier to "unscrew" the sail lugs but on my boat they don't unscrew. 
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

Tom L.

I would simply break the plastic shackles to remove the sail and buy some new replacement screw pin shackles. Just a thought. My Sun cat had screw pin shackles I think. I never really removed the sail.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

So, did you ever remove your sail.  I should be getting mine back soon...took it off for cleaning.  Won't put it back on till the boat goes in the water.  I'll take the hinge apart (two nuts), slip the sail on, and set it up...shouldn't be too bad.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

hoddinr

I've removed the 2 bolts/nuts to take the hinge apart twice in two years on Nomad.  Both times to replace the throat halyard gooseneck.  It's simple and easy to do.

Ron