a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Whose up for the North Channel?

Started by crazycarl, November 24, 2017, 10:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I have been wanting to sail the North Channel for some years and 2018 will finally be the year!

My vacation is already set for July 20th thru August 4th.

My plan is to arrive July 22nd at a location to be determined, and depart August 3rd. 

Of course, if someone wants to catch up with us or leave early, that is their prerogative.

Anyone interested should start researching and plan accordingly.

As the date gets closer, I'll post where I intend to launch.

I myself will be sleeping aboard among the many islands with a stop or two to re-provision.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Finbar Beagle

Carl,

I admit to being geographically challenged. Is North Channel lake St. Clair, Chicago sewer drainage, or between the North of Ireland and Scotland?

I cannot find it on my Barnegat Bay NJ chart.

Regards,,
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

crazycarl

so bob isn't the only new jerseyian with a sense of humor?!

the north channel is in lake heron between canada's mainland and manitoulin island.

the waters themselves are in canada and anyone interested in sailing with us would need a passport.

does canada allow new jerseyians within their borders?

waterwheels

I will keep an eye on this post as it progresses and may be able to join.
I am already in Canada (check)
I am already on Lake Huron (check)
I have a Com pac Eclipse with good trailer (check)
Now all I need are some holidays......

hoddinr

I'd love to go back to the North Channel. I did a solo two week trip up there in 1998.

Took the Chee-Chee-Mon ferry from Tobermory to Manatolin Island then launched from Spider Bay Marina in Little Current.  Sailed west to the Benjamin Islands and that area for a week and then back to Little Current and explored east from there for a week.

I have a SunCat now.  Back then I was in a SeaPearl. 

Ron

Christopher

I'm planning on going on the trip and will be sailing a Suncat.  I would appreciate any advice that any of you may have for such a trip such as recommended boat equipment and places to launch from and sail to.  I just checked my passport and it will still be current next July.  Yes!

Chris (Second Wind)

rogerschwake

I have never been to the North Chanel but have read and heard it's a beautiful place to sail. Have no idea on where to launch at coming from Iowa. Looked at a map and found DE Tour Village, Michigan. That's a 11 hour drive for me, but think it would be worth the trip. Any one out there have a better idea on where to launch and where to go from there?

ROGER

kickingbug1

i  have always been interested in the north channel, but a hell of a drive dragging my boat.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

hoddinr

Most groups going to the North Channel launch at the town of Spanish.  It's west of the prime small boat cruising grounds, but not too far.
The other great place is Little Current.  Spider Bay Marina is very welcoming, and puts you about 13 miles from the Benjamin Islands, an easy one day sail.  Then coming back to Little Current you can resupply there and then head east to explore that part of the N. Channel. 

Ron

crazycarl

Kick,

You can always pull the boat to our house, rest a day or two, and then we leave together

kickingbug1

as wonderful as that trip sounds, i better decline. im thinking that i might make a trip to kentucky lake and stay aboard for a few days. a little warmer for swimming as well
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Rahn

I have cruised the North Channel for the last 10 years. The first 2 years were with my son in a Sun Cat and then a couple of years with a Horizon Cat. I now have a Seaward 23 and have been single-handed the last 2 years. It's difficult to enjoy other areas after cruising the North Channel.

I have launched from Spanish Marina which has has a great marina but I much prefer launching from Spider Bay Marina because it's more centrally located to the prime cruising spots and the town of Little Current is larger than Spanish.

The trailer-sailors group sponsors a 2 week-cruise every year during the beginning of August and will show you the "must see" anchorages and how to cruise the North Channel. Greta group, highly recommended.

Rahn

Here is a link to my Georgian Bay Cruise which ended in the North Channel.

http://www.rahnlawton.com/styled/index.html

rogerschwake

I have the dates marked off on the calender and it sounds like a fun trip. It will be a little bit of a drive for me but the pictures look unbelievable. Hope to stay at least ten days or more after such a long drive. This trip, the CLR and a few couple day trips to some local lakes should fill in most of my summer. Hope to see a few of you there.

ROGER

Christopher

I'm glad your planning on going Roger.  Thanks for the info/photos Rahn.