a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

MAC Sail Question

Started by alsantini, August 04, 2017, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hi everyone.  I just purchased a replacement sail for my 2007 Eclipse.  The original Doyle sail had a rip in it and was a bit blown out.  When raised up and not really sailing, the boom would be parallel to the water.  I really had to pull it up to clear the boom gallows.  The new MAC sail (which is who makes the sails sold with a new boat) places the end of the boom well above the boom gallows.  Obviously this gives additional clearance and that is a good thing, I guess.  Question.  If you have a MAC main, and you hoist the sail until the luff is flat (not pulling up all the way), how much clearance do you have at the boom gallows?  I guess I am used to a parallel to the water boom, but have no experience with the boom gallows.  If per chance, you have a photo of your sail hoisted that shows the angle of the boom, I would love to see it.

alsantini

Guess I will answer my own question....  Today I sailed for the first time with the new sails and they are terrific.  Gerry at Com Pac told me that I would see the differences once I had the chance to use them.  He was correct.  The Doyle sails needed to be pulled up to the top of the mast which raises the boom above the boom gallows support.  The MAC sails have a longer luff.  They sit only a couple of inches from the top of the mast and it is not necessary to pull them to the top, since the leach is a bit shorter.  This puts the boom above the gallows anytime the sail is raised.  I believe the MAC sails have a bit more area since the luff is probably 8 inches longer.  They also have a bit of a shelf along the foot, making the sail partially loose footed.  Like I said, they are terrific and I immediately noticed an improvement over my worn out sails.  Less leaning and more go power.  Today I just had about 10 mph, but I can hardly wait until 12 - 15 mph wind is on the Lake,  Yahoo....  Sail On,  Al

slode

Hey Al,

I've been looking at options for new sails since the original Air Force sails that came with my boat are pretty well shot..  I figured I'd use them for half a season to get used to things then upgrade.  Is your new genoa miter cut?  And did you buy from Hutchins or direct. 

Does anyone else have Hyde or other brand sails on their Eclipse, comments on performance/value?

My Air Force main puts the boom about 4" clear of the mast crutch on the gallows when fully raised with no wind pushing things.  Cranking down on the vang will bring it down an inch closer.  Probably about parallel to the water.

Scott
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

captronr

Hi guys.   Our Mac26X had oem Doyle sails, and the little I know about sails, I figured they were blown out.   We had the chance to meet Judy Blumhorst from San Francisco a couple of times at a Lake Havasu sail event.  Judy sells Hyde sails (and maybe others, don't know).   

Judy went out on our boat and within 1 minute, said, yeah, your main is shot.  Judy spent a lot of time inquiring about how and where we sailed, and what we were looking for.  She sold us (had it made and shipped to us) a Hyde sail.  It was a heavier cloth, and was much stiffer.  I don't recall the details exactly, but her price was $100 less than an oem Doyle sail for our boat.  To give you an idea, the sail covers would barely fit around the new sail! 

I've followed her for about 10 years on the Trailer Sailor website, and I've never read anything negative from one of her customers.  That tells me a lot. 

If/when I need new sails, Judy will be my first call. 

Disclaimer:  Just a satisfied customer.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Scott:  I bought directly from ComPac.  It was similar priced to products I investigated.  It is a Mac sail and yes the Genoa is miter cut.

After sailing most of the summer with the new sails I have realized that the sail is larger overall since you do not raise it up all the way to clear the boom gallows.  It clears just by raising it up until the luff is tight.  Mot sure how much extra this is but on my old original sail (main) with the luff tight the boom would still be on the gallows.  There was at least 6 inches at head of the sail that had to be pulled up for gallows clearance.  So 6 inches more sail translates to a couple of square feet.  I am really pleased with the overall quality of the sails

I talked to Judy about sails and have to agree with Ron.  She asked lots of questions but her plan was to duplicate my old sail after I would ship it to her.  That would have been OK, but I sail year around so figured I needed to order directly and sail while it was being made.

Al

slode

Al & Ron,

Thanks both for the info.  I have also read nothing but praise for Hyde's sails and service.  But If I had the choice of a miter vs. cross cut genoa for roughly the same price and quality there would be no question to go with the miter for shape life.  Hyde does have pricing on many options of sails for the Eclipse and other Com-Pacs on their website.  Dimensions appear to be close to my factory Air Force main.  I'll have to get pricing on the Mac sails and talk to Judy about options for the headsail.

Scott
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Vectordirector

I have a question:  Are you talking about MACK sails out of Stuart, FL.      http://macksails.com/   
or someone else?

I have never heard of MAC. 

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Sorry....  yes Mack Sails of Stuart Florida.  Right down the street....

I know better since I look at their emblem every time I sail.

Al

captronr

Hey you two should get together and discuss this over cold ones!  (BIG GRIN)

Have fun.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini