a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1/4" running rigging

Started by Chris D, June 11, 2017, 09:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris D

I was curious if anyone is using the specified 1/4" line for their running rigging? I believe my 16 has 3/8" for the mainsheet and it doesn't feed out very easily. That size seems a bit much. What are other folks using?

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Yamaha33410

It is 1/4" from the factory according to the sticky on specs and procedues on this subforum

I purchased all new ropes in that size to rig my boat and works perfectly.

I use the next size smaller for the topping lift, main downhaul, and main outhaul... but 1/4 for all sheets and halyards

1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

Chris D

Thanks for the response Yamaha, I think I am going to replace all of mine with 1/4" too. It seems like everything would roll a little bit more smoothly.
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

MHardy

My 16 came from the PO with a 3/8" mainsheet. I switched to 1/4" and it helped, but it still doesn't move as freely as I would like through the original cam cleat/fairlead. 
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

Whistlingdixie

Great timing for me. I have an 84' that still has original cam cleats from when she was built. When I got her the sheets were worn and very difficult to use with current cams cleats. So I bought new ones. Little to no improvement. Just last week, I reviewed what I believed to be original specs for rigging and saw that it called for 1/4, so I again bought new ones. Sailed last Friday . Big improvement in the ease of handleing the sheets. So for me I am staying with 1/4.

Chris D

Thanks MHardy and Whistlingdixie for your input. It verifies, at least for me, that 1/4" is the size for the halyards and sheets. I look forward to the mainsheet moving a little easier through the fairlead.
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Yamaha33410

Even with the 1/4" my boom is very sluggish going out with the line, I basically hand feed it extra line... I did put a stopper knot on it right at the right place and sometimes I'll just put it to the stopper and let it do its thing...
1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

Chris D

Is that with the line feeding through the standard fairlead and cam set-up? That seems to cause quite a bit of friction on mine. I've been perusing other members posts on changing out to a fiddle block on the boom and new blocks port and starboard. It seems like that might also help. I've had strong gusts hit me and I've not been able to dump the air because the sheet doesn't feed fast enough.
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Citroen/Dave

Regardless of line diameter and hardware, be sure to use a high quality lubricant in all of the bearing surfaces, including metal to metal parts.  Seasonal routine for me.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Chris D

What kind of lubricant do you use Dave? I have never lubed my blocks, maybe that is why they don't seem to work that great. Are you able to do the lubrication without removing them?
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

DaleM

Changed to 1/4 several months ago and very pleased with it.  No more hang ups or snags. 
Fair winds!
If not now..When?

Chris D

"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Citroen/Dave

Chris,

I have used a spray can of white lithium grease with Teflon, can't find the can for the brand name.   Someone must have the name of a good salt and fresh water resistant penetrating spray lubricant.   Lithium seems a good choice as it has been used for water pump grease.

I did not dissemble anything; with line removed give anything that moves a shot. Move the movable parts for distribution, wipe up the overspray, and you are good to go.  Don't get the stuff on the gel coat.

Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Chris D

"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

JBC

I am not partial to 1/4" sheets on a 16. Halyards, fine. I like 5/16" for main and jib sheets...just a bit larger and easier on the hands, especially when sails are pulling hard. I have tried 3/8" sheets and think they are too heavy, especially in light air. And, they do tend to bog down in fairleads/blocks more than smaller diameter sheets.

Dave's idea of lubricating blocks/leads is great! I will try that, though I really don't have much of an issue with my 5/16 sheets hanging up. They seem to pull through blocks and fairleads about as easy as 1/4" sheets do, I believe.

Jett