a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer bow ladder

Started by captronr, May 25, 2017, 11:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

As I think I've posted here, the lakes near me have horrible and shallow ramps, most with no docks near the ramps.  So I figured I'd need a way to climb on/off the Eclipse when launching retrieving by going over the bow.

Initially, I'd hoped to be able to use a 6 ft stepladder, that I could lock in place on the bow of the trailer, then move to the side on the hard if I needed to climb on that way.  Gave up on that approach and just built a ladder that I can secure to the trailer. 

I used materials that I had, so it's overkill.  Ladder is about 53" tall, and will (somehow-haven't figured that out exactly yet) be attached to the trailer box beam at the bottom, and the winch post mid way up. 

I did the measuring, cutting, and tack welding.  Son told me a few days ago that he's not welded for awhile and would like to try his hand at it again.  So I said come on over!  He did all the finish welding on the ladder, so ole dad got a break.  I tried to convince him to go halves with me to get a mig welder vs my stick welder, but he's not there yet....................

Still have to do the mounting, then sand and paint.   If it turns out well, plan to take it off this winter and have it powdercoated.

Would like to hear any good thoughts pls.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Tim Gardner

Might want to consider adding a spare axle & tire carrier to the side of the ladder. Oh and grind the welds for a finished look before you powder-coat. ;>)
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Mike K

Good work!

It may just be the photo angle, but when finally attached, will you still be able to fully turn the winch handle without smashing your fingers on the ladder?
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

captronr

Thanks for the replies!

The photo shows the ladder just resting on the trailer.  The bottom of it will be about where it shows in the photo. Right now, it's just resting on the winch post.  In reality, the ladder will be vertical, so plenty of room with the winch handle.  I wanted to make sure, so this morning I walked out to check it (I've been known to mess up like that sometimes.)  I'll likely offset it some away from the handle anyway to make it easier. 

I had to remove my spare carrier, so will have to find a place for that as well--or toss the spare in the truck.

Yeah, you are looking at the just welded version.  Plenty of grinding to do yet to pretty it up, as well as add some bracing.

Ron 

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain