a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fitting Eclipse into garage --RESULTS

Started by captronr, May 09, 2017, 02:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

My intent was this would be a quick/easy way to store the boat between outings, keeping it clean, and making it easy to work on.  It was neither quick, nor easy, but it is in the garage, now taking up TWO garage spaces.

In building our new house, I insisted on 8 ft tall garage doors, and for the 3rd stall, having it 9ft wide.  Figured the Eclipse would fit in there nicely—WRONG.  While the distance from 2x6 to 2x6 is 9ft, when you add trim and flashing, it's about 6 inches narrower.  From my figuring, I'm thinking I'd have 2 to 2.5 inches clearance on each side of the fenders/tires.  That failed quickly, easy, and is most likely impossible.
Plan B was, at least for the time being, enter through the double car door at an angle, so the back of the boat would be in the 3rd bay.  Which is where it mostly ended up................

As I backed toward the garage, it became apparent that the 7 degree slope of our driveway was as a minimum, going to hinder the plan.  Hoping to mitigate that, I took a 2nd two inch drop receiver, flipped it upside down, and mounted a ball on it.  I'm guessing it raised the tongue 4 inches.  Only, the tongue jack didn't have the lift to clear the ball, so I had to use a handyman jack (if you don't know, is probably the most dangerous jack in the world).  Managed to get the truck and trailer mated................
Backed toward the garage.  Mast light would have hit 4" above the door.  Darn!

So moved the mast to hang on the side of the boat and the boom to the side of the boom gallows.  The fixed boom mounts rubbed the top rubber door flashing, but it did clear. 

Unhooked the truck/trailer, and moved in with my Kubota sub-compact tractor.  It's rated to lift 500# with the loader, so figured I had that covered.  Unfortunately, I didn't have room for my 3 point implements with the house move, so I sold them.  With nothing on the 3pt, the lifting capacity of the loader is much less, and you get the 'tail wagging the dog' effect as I tried to steer it. 

Will keep it here inside to do some work on the boat.  I need to:
1.   Replace the battery
2.   Install some 'push to release' pins so we can easily undo the lifelines when docking.
3.   Build or mount a ladder to the winch post.  With few/none of our ramps having docks next to them, I need to be able to climb on/off over the bow when launching or retrieving.
4.   Try to buff out some dock rashes on the sides.
5.   Build a mount for my trailer tongue extension.

So, can anyone tell me why the Eclipse needs FOUR mounts on the gallows?  One for Mast, one for Boom, but the rest?  I haven't found any good use for the extra.  I'm thinking of ordering one folding one (like for the mast) and putting it on the starboard side and removing the three shorties.  THOUGHTS?

I've about concluded, but might be wrong, that if I had a way to winch the boat into the garage tongue first, it would be much easier heighth wise.  But in my case, would require mounting a winch to the garage floor, and I'm not sure that's a practical solution.

Will post some pics when I figure out how.

Appreciate any input.  THKS.
Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

captronr

Pics

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Tom L.

If you feel it would work better you can pull the boat in tong first. Harbor Freight has a 120 volt winch for $150.00 that they describe as usefull to hall disabled cars on to a trailer, 1500# pulling power. The cable is only 35 feet long so you might have to make an extension cable and remove it after pulling part of the way in then re-hook the winch. That depends on how close you can get the trailer to the garage door after disconnecting from your truck/car.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-61672.html

good luck

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

captronr

Thanks Tom,

Pulling it in, at least for winter storage, might be  a good plan.  Not sure I want to do it for weekly excurions.  Our HOA doesn't allow trailers/boats in the back yard, even though mine would fit easily.................

I can imagine a nightmare scenario where the winch would break or something, and the boat goes careening down my driveway and either hits a car or goes through the garage door across the street.  I would not use a winch unless I could have a back up stopping device.

Might have to ponder getting a way to mount a hitch to my 3PH on the rear of the Bota.  It has much more lifting capacity, and I could likely pull it in with the tractor far enough to be on more level concrete.............

Thanks.
Ron

alsantini

Boat looks great basking in the florescent light....

The two shorter mounts on the boom gallows are for the boom to be out of the way while you sip Miller Lite in the cockpit.  I move mine to the side opposite the side against the slip pier.  It gives you some additional space in the cockpit.

Now - get that boat in the water, NOT in the garage!  Off the Wind is sleeping in her slip.  Launched on Monday.  Going sailing probably Friday.  Want to join me?

Al

captronr

Hi Al,

Thanks for the gallows info.  I might call Compac to see what two of the rotating ones would cost me.  Or I might look at it closer to see if I could build something.  There's an acrylic supply place in town that carries all sizes and colors of acrylic.  I could probably buy what I'd need there. Bolt two halves together and drill it out.

Alas, I'm on a baby-gate-building mission this weekend in KC.  I plan to get some of that good BBQ we enjoyed!

Garage has 10 ft ceilings, and in addition to wanting good light, I didn't want to ever have to change bulbs on an 8ft ladder.  Those are high lumens from Menards, 4 foot length, two rows of LEDS per fixture.  Only $60, so I thought the price was ok.  Four of them light up my 3 car garage nicely.

Another mission I have:  I can't find my Eclipse manual.  I'm sure it will turn up.....

It is nice having the boat here and inside making it easier to work on.  Next week, it should be closer to #1 priority.

Ron

kickingbug1

lets all hear it for home owners associations. &^%&*^*& glad i dont have to deal with one
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"