a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need tiller for CP16

Started by funhead, December 20, 2006, 09:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funhead

Just became owner of an old new com-pac16. She came without a tiller. Where can I buy the tiller. Thanks,

Craig Weis

Tillers can be had from IdaSailor. Skip.

fafnir

You can still get a tiller from Hutchins, $87.50

funhead

Thank you for your help. I just placed the order.

fafnir

I don't think the one from hutchins comes varnished.  If it does could you let us know.

Thanks

Craig Weis

I have no idea, but I can't fathom that a new tiller would not be all ready coated from the factory.
I can see a Com-Pac guy reaching up and pulling one out of stock ready for use...anybody concour?

Nautibuoy

FYI

I recently bought a new tiller from Hutchins.  It came from them unvarnished.  No big deal, I just finished sealing it, and will begin varnishing tomorrow. 

fafnir

I didn't think they came varnished from the factory,  thanks for letting us know. 

PeterD

I just bought hull 068, it is sailable, so needless to say, many updates & repairs.  The original tiller has been replaced with a varnished ax handle ... two holes drilled at the appropriate spot on the end that would normally fit in the ax head.  I bet the ax handle was very economical.

Spartan

Peter when I bought my 1980 CP-16 a year ago, the previous owner has a tree limb for a tiller.  Luckily he pass along the tiller pieces and I was able to glue back together with epoxy and varnish.  Good luck with your new sailboat.
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

lochinvar

Tree limb?? Really? Arkansas or Oklahoma boat?  ;D

How nautical!

- Shawn F

MacGyver

Axe handle.......
Tree limb.........

I can't wait to get to work and tell the guys......that is hilarious.

Fits the old addage : whatever works!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Spartan

Tree limb in NW PA - I think I kept it in my garage - I felt like Robison Crusoe with it on... ;D
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

Spartan

Here's a picture of the tree limb tiller

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

MacGyver

NICE,  :D :D :D :D :D

Strap some logs to the sides of the boat and go down the river, you can call yourself Tom Sawyer, LOL  :P  ;D

That has to be the first time I have ever seen a tiller made of a branch, thanks for the pic! Unique indeed!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.