a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lazy jacks for a Picnic Cat

Started by Psnell246, March 15, 2017, 09:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psnell246

I recently purchased a Picnic Cat.  I would like to install some lazy jacks.  Does anyone have ideas for a simple set up they would be willing to share?

Thanks
Paul

bruce

Hey Paul, congrats on the PC!

I bought my PC new in 2010, and had the broker's sailmaker make up my lazy jacks. They've worked out fine, but I have replaced the horn cleat he used with a turning block and a lance cleat, seen in the last picture.

The upper legs are easy-to-splice 3/16" Dyneema, 64" in length, affixed about 36" below the masthead (that's 11 1/2" below the bolt attaching the stay and shroud bails), with a small block on the working end. A continuous 1/4" line (blue marker) runs from a eyestrap on the port side of the boom, 50" from the aft end, up to the port block. From there it drops down and passes under the boom, through an eyestrap 103" from the aft end of the boom, and back up to the starboard block. Then it's back to the cheek block and cleat opposite the first eyestrap. I've rigged a bungee cradle to store excess line at the cleat. None of these dimensions are critical, but do make sure that the gaff is captured. The end of the gaff can foul in the lazy jacks if you don't raise the gaff parallel to the boom, for example.

In use, with the mast up and before the sail raised, the lazy jacks are set so the boom hovers just above the boom gallows and cinched down with the sheet. With the sheet free, it functions as a topping lift, handy if you fall off the wind. With the sail up, the lazy jacks are slack and don't crease the sail, no adjustment necessary. When it comes time to lower the mast, with the boom gooseneck below the hinge, the lazy jacks are released and all legs are brought forward and looped over the long pin, as is the peak halyard, and all lines snugged up. That controls the lines so they don't get tangled in the sail bundle, as they will if left to their own.

A few pictures should help. The forestay isn't rigged in the third photo, no need for concern!

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Psnell246

Thanks Bruce for your detailed description and pictures.  This is very helpful. 

Psnell246

Another question.  This will be my first time affixing a device to the aluminum mast and boom.  Is there special hardware / self tapping screws or something to use to secure blocks and eyestraps?  Also, do you have a favorite vendor to purchase the necessary hardware?   Thanks for your patience with this newbie!!

Paul

bruce

Good question. Stainless steel (SS) fasteners are routinely used with aluminum, but there are corrosion issues. Best practice is to isolate all dissimilar metals. I use Tef-Gel or blue threadlocker (Locktite or Permatex) on all SS threads. Pop rivets are fine, but I prefer threaded connections. I'll tap treads and use machine screws (SS 316 preferably), unless I'm replacing self tapping screws already in place, but that's just me.

I use lots of different vendors for boat gear. My favorite all around supplier for general stuff is McMaster Carr. If you want help in sourcing parts send me a personal message from the menu above and I'll try to help.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Psnell246

Thanks Bruce for the additional information.  I'll try sending a personal message.