a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

bottom paint

Started by kickingbug1, November 09, 2015, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i might get some static from this question but here it goes. i am a trailer sailor and probably will be until i give it up completely. our boat was kept on a mooring between memorial day and labor day. the old abative is pretty worn and i used a pressure washer on it today. my question is can i just paint the bottom with rustoleum paint. as the boat is only daysailed i figure it didnt need the abative. last summer i masked off a small square below the water line and painted it with white rustoleum. it was just a couple of brush strokes (barely one coat) and it stood up well. it didnt even come off with the pressure washing. my other idea was to paint it with automotive enamel.  ideas?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Craig

Why those paints as opposed to marine  paints? Painting a hard paint over an ablative may be problematic vis a vis adhesion. That being said if the boat is not in the water for long periods of time it really doesn't matter too much what is on the bottom!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

JBC

I owned a 2001 Catalina 18 for several years and kept it on a mooring (freshwater) during the summer months. It had no bottom paint at all, though I think it might have come from the factory with a barrier coat (same color).  Never knew for sure.  Anyway it held up just fine with no issues for three seasons.  I'll leave it to others about paint suggestions (mixing types, etc.), but I would think you could get away with your scheme, at least in freshwater.

Jett

kickingbug1

strangely enough, jb, i also have a catalina 18. the previous owner hadnt bottom painted the boat in years. happily no blistering to speak of. it just looks like-----well, bad.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

JBC

Yes, I remember reading sometime back that you moved from a 16 to the Catalina 18.  I went the other direction and now have a CP 16.  One, btw, with no bottom paint, but I only trailer sail it and don't moor it. 

mattman

Kick is there a grey barrier coat under the bottom paint? If so you may just wet sand the bottom paint down, and not have any discoloration. I am not sure when Catalina started with the epoxy as standard, both my 89's had it and I think it maybe was an option earlier on as a friend had an 87 that was epoxy coated.

kickingbug1

i think it might have the gray barrier coat but there are places where i can see the white gelcoat.

mattman

If you see gel coat you don't have the epoxy, I took the bottom paint off with a magic tool on the 22, when you hit the epoxy it is slick and tough. As in you can gouge it a little but it is not coming off the boat. Either way I would wet sand it down until nice and smooth, then make a decision based on how she looks. I would then have Jason advise on Interlux or vc tar. I have used vc tar several times, really hard, slick, and smooth but prone to sag, the interlux was not as smooth on final finish but easier to work with.

Damsel19

I can't speak to fresh water, but personally, even for trailered boats, which mine is, I like bottom paint. Petit Vivid is a Hard Ablative for trailerable boats. We are in the Marine business and regularly see boats that get left in the water longer than planned, even  a week to ten days in our Florida waters sees real barnacle growth. We had a good friend break a trailer axle and by the time that was sorted out it cost over a $1000 to clean the bottom.  A preasure washer wouldn't touch it.