a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heading North in a few weeks

Started by alsantini, March 19, 2017, 01:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well, the time in Florida is rapidly drawing to a close.  We head home on April 6 with a 2 nite stop in Louisville for a volley ball tournament.  I should have the only sailboat at a volley ball tournament.  LOL
This season, the sailing has been really good.  Plenty of wind, sometimes too much, clear sky, blue water, etc.  Really good.  Took a couple out sailing on the Gulf on Friday afternoon.  74 degrees, not a could in the sky

captronr

Safe Travels my friend!

Ron and Chari
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Hit something and off the post went complete with mistakes and missing the end....  duh   cloudless sky, and steady 10-12 mph wind out of the East.  Perfect to sail along the shore.  We went South for probably 7 miles or so, turned and sailed North.  What a day on the water.  Definitely a top ten day.
Carol asked what I might want for my birthday and so weather permitting we will launch at Uncle Henry's in Boca Grande, sail over to Cabbage Key, spend two nights at the Inn and sail back.  The middle day will be spent sailing over to Coya Costa where there is a State Park.  This might just be a bucket list birthday....
After that I will take the boat apart to get her ready for travel.    Sail On,    Al

waterwheels

Enjoy your birthday sail, and have a safe trip home. Things are warming up slightly in Ontario. Hoping to get anti-foul on soon and get her back in the water.

Don

alsantini

Log:  Day  one.  We launched in Englewood at the park near the Boca Grande bridge.  With 22 foot clearance, we requested an opening.  It is a swing bridge and after a short wait we motored through.  Once on the other side we tacked and tacked and tacked our way through Boca Grande sound and into Charlotte Harbor.  By the we had 18 mph on the nose and the Admiral was getting nervous.  I fired up the outboard and we motored the rest of the way to Cabbage Key.  We have a nice slip for Off the Wind and a nice room for us.  We took a walk around the island and are now waiting on dinner which is at 7.
Tomorrow we hope to head to Caya Costa to walk around, swim, beach sit, read, etc....
So far so good....

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

alsantini

Log Day 2:  Well, the weather Gods were not listening.  We woke up to rain and wind.  We had breakfast (blueberry pancakes and sausage) to start the day.  We read, hiked the island, and I washed the deck and cockpit of Off the Wind.  A very relaxing day, to say the least.  We are now into the Southern Comfort and rum chata before dinner.  Plans tomorrow call for a sail North to Caya Costa, where we supposed to be today.  Spend a few hours there and sail North to Elglewood.  The ramp is really a zoo and not set up well for a sailboat rig and un-rig job so I think once I am close I will take the mast down and get ready to pull out.  Advantage to Eclipse.  This will allow me to put to the boat on the trailer, pull the rudder, tie up the outboard and I am off in less than 10 minutes.  This ramp proved to be a bargain and that is the only reason we are there.  It would have been $54.00 for the 3 days or $26.00 for a 3 month sticker.  Anyone want to borrow a launch permit good for 2 1/2 more months?  Overall this has been a great birthday and one that I will remember.  It may be the last time my lovely wife asks, "what would you like to do for your birthday?" LOL.

TedStrat

Weather or not....still sounds like a great 2 days. I sat in work and looked at Helios on my screen saver - ha! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday!
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

relamb

Is there still a restaurant on Cabbage Key with a few thousand signed $1 bills stapled to the walls and ceiling?  Haven't been there in years.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

alsantini

Log Day three.  We left Cabbage Key heading North with an easterly 8 mph wind.  We sailed under clear blue cloudless (hot) sky with a stop over in Caya Costa State Park.  We stayed to the East and inland side following the intercostal waterway.  As we sailed along I began thinking about how bad the boat ramp would be on a Saturday especially with the weather.  On Thursday, when we launched it was a zoo.  2 decent ramps with probably 120 parking spots - all but one taken.  As we got closer and my anxiety rose I decided to head toward shore and put the mast down.  Score one for the Eclipse.  Got everything tied down and ready for travel with the exception of the rudder which I figured I would still need.  We fired up the trusty outboard and went under the Boca Grande bridge without needing an opening.  As we pulled into the park, you would have thought a boat convention was in progress.  Power boats everywhere with some captains learning how to maneuver first hand.  I got the SUV and the trailer and pulled the boat after a 35 minute wait for my turn.  We pulled out to NO Spaces - I was the happiest sailor around.  I stopped and pulled the rudder and we got out of Dodge.  I really do not know where I would have gone to un-step the mast.  Tell me how many boats allow for stepping and in-stepping the mast while in the water.  Not many I would guess.
All in all it was a splendid 3 days of decent sailing, some rain and way too much food.  We had a great time and my first mate handled everything well and we are still married (I think - check back later....)  There is some wonderful sailing water in SW Florida.
Tomorrow I will take Off the Wind apart and get her ready for 1400 miles of driving....  bummer.  Sail On everyone.  Al