a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Whisker Pole Recommendations

Started by Jma1_nemo, September 06, 2016, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jma1_nemo

Does anyone have any recommendations for a whisker pole for the CP27?  I have a 155% Genoa, and I think I want a setup where the mast mount ring is adjustable up/down, but how much adjustment is ideal. My previous boat (O'Day 22) had a twisting telescoping pole (maybe 1" diameter), that clipped to a fixed ring on the mast and a spike on the other end that went thru the sail sheet grommet. Is that spike style what I should be looking at or the type with a clip on the sail end?

deisher6

Hey Nemo:
We have had 2 C-27's.  The first had a ring bail fixed about a foot above the winches on the mast.  We used an adjustable pole probably much like the one on your O'Day, except about two inches in diameter.  The pole has jaws on each end.  I saved the pole and moved it around the country for 25 years and use the same rig on the current C-27.

The pole stows nicely between the  bow pulpit and the first stanchion.  You can see it in the flick.  It works for the 155 and 110, but it is a little short for the asymmetrical jib shown.  I do not think that the adjustable bail on the mast would be worth it.

Awfeith

LP on a 155% is 17ft 8 in. Usual whisker pole length is 1.5 times LP length. Telescoping pole would have to be at least 1.5 in diameter.

redfishnc

i have mine mounted on the mast.  easy use.

Jma1_nemo

I came across a forespar 12'-22' telescoping pole. 3" & 2.5" diameter. Approx 27lbs.
My Genoa foot is 16' 3" unstretched (laying in my yard).   Do you'all think this pole is too long? Too heavy?

deisher6

I will get to the boat before the weekend and get back to you with the measurements of our whisker pole.
regards charlie

Betterdays

On my 1992 compact 27   my whisker pole sits on a ring car that fits onto a groove on the mast. It can be adjusted up or down or held in place with a thumb screw. Not sure what vintage your vessel but my mast is an isomast . I love the feature great for downwind. light wind,  and wing and wing.   

Stephen
Betterdays

deisher6

Hey Nemo: 
The whisker pole that I bought in '86 and still use on Windrunner: Is a Forespar, telescoping, 1 7/8 inches in diameter for the large tube, it extends to 12 feet, and collapses to 9 feet.  It would collapse further but it has been bent. 

It still fits nicely along the lifelines and bow pulpit.  When in use it attaches to a fixed bail on the mast. It works very well with the 110-120 stock jib, it is just a mite short for the 150, but works OK.  It is a bit heavy for the drifter, but again works OK. 

I would buy another like it if I had to replace it.

Hope that this helps

Jma1_nemo

Thanks Charlie.
Stephen/Betterdays, how long of pole do you have? How big of Genoa do you use it on? Do you find that you adjust the mast end up/down often or leave the ring in a particular spot most of the time?
Thanks

Betterdays

Not sure the length of pole.  It fits on the floor of the salon  so guessing 8 ft . It extends 2 to 3 ft passed the length of fore triangle. I usually extend it the length of the mast to bow pulpit.  I have 135 genoa  and a gennaker, I try to keep pole parallel so different heights on mast for different sails, but don't usually change after I have it set. Doubtful it would make a  noticeable difference if it was fixed in one place. 

Betterdays

redfishnc

I know this is an older thread but my whisker pole cannot be extended without manually pushing in a tab and extending.  It seems difficult to do and I thought it should be extended by an attached rope.  It will barely pass in front of the forestay when the appropriate length for using is attained.  Will bring it home tomorrow and get the make and model.  Does yours adjust by using a line to extend?

deisher6

Mine twists to lock & unlock to extend or sorten.
regards charlie