a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Little Egg Harbor Inlet shoal warning

Started by Reighnman, March 04, 2017, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reighnman

Doubt many on this forum use this inlet but it's my home port. This could be an issue for those trying to sail the coast and need quick shelter as it's another 10 miles south to AC or 18 miles north to Barnegat Inlet. Most boaters under 30feet just hug the southern tip of LBI to reach the ocean but for sailboats and the bigger fishing boats this presents a real problem.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Coast-Guard-warns-boaters-against-using-Little-Egg-Inlet-shoaling.html
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

Thanks, Reigh. This is very near my home area. I hope we can sail together someday. I'm planning an excursion into Great Bay this summer. Yesterday I noticed the blow-out tide in the Manahawkin area. Totally expected but lower than I thought.
Bob23

Reighnman

Looking forward to meeting everyone at Maggies next weekend! I haven't been down to the bay in a few months but those blowout tides are something to witness. Great Bay isn't the greatest sailing location but my dockage is free(I've crammed my sailboat onto my parents floating dock) so no complaints. There are two bars, Oyster Creek Inn and Motts Creek that you should definitely add to the voyage. Motts is a true biker/booze cruise bar but the creek run is longer and you have to good docking skills as the boats on the weekends are some times 4 deep on the dock. There's a dockhand to help with the chaos. This is our usual go to cruise spot (unless the wind is more westerly then Oyster creek it is) from the house as it's about a 2 beer (45min) sail to Motts, 2 beers there, and one beer home.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat