- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing on a great winter day in the Gulf

Started by Awfeith, January 25, 2017, 08:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awfeith

deisher6

Hey Awfeith:
Thanks for the flicks...gotta get the trans replaced and out sailing....good inspiration.
regards charlie

wes

I see you have four lines led aft from the mast. Main and jib halyards of course. What are the other two? Spinnaker? Reefing line? Highly interested because I'm about to redo the running rigging on mine.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Awfeith

You are correct, spinnaker halyard, and reefing  line. The spinnaker halyard runs outside the mast to a sheave attached to the masthead.

deisher6

Hey Awfeith:
When you reef do you still have to go to the goose neck to secure the tack?

or does your reefing line sheet in the clew as well as the tack?

On Windrunner the reefing line has a jam cleat in the gooseneck and is attached only to the (reef point) clew on the main.  To reef the main has to be lowered until the (reef point) tack can be hooked onto a hook on the goose neck then re-hoisted/tensioned.

regards charlie

Awfeith

Exactly how mine is set up. Fortunately I have never had to reef down.

André

DaleM

Now these are what we call here in Middle Georgia....GREAT PICS!  Sitting here with my first cup of coffee in the  office and with a click I am enjoying a virtual sail in the Gulf of Mexico....a slice of paradise!  Really nice looking boat! 
Enjoy the salt air!
If not now..When?

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Jma1_nemo

I am researching the addition of an asymmetrical spinnaker to my CP27, as opposed to getting a whisker pole for the 155 Genoa. Can you share any info on your setup? Where you attach the tack?  How does it work going down wind? Any advice would be appreciated.

Awfeith

I have a hook on the pulpit that I attach the tack to. I have an external spinnaker halyard with a block attached to the mast head. I can point about 60degrees off the wind. Not being attached to the forestry, it is not effective pointing. Beam reaches are great, downwind I will be using a whisker pole.