a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First Gas Outboard: range?

Started by ChuckD, December 03, 2016, 08:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckD

So, it's time to move from my 55# electric to a new Suzuki 2.5HP gas outboard.

I've never owned one, so question about range:
Can I travel ~25 miles at ~1/2 throttle (as long as I keep topping off the gas)?

I mean, they're built for that, right?
Thanks! Chuck
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

Citi853

I think if you continue topping off the gas you can go forever...am I missing something?

Duckie

have a 2 1/2 horse Yamaha four stroke and I get about four miles to the quart at about 1/3 throttle.  Any higher than that and I am wasting gas.  I have used it for longer miles at times and it seems to do fine.

Al 

Shawn

The Suzuki should handle that fine. If it is a new engine maybe run it for an hour or two in the tank and the change out the engine oil before taking it on the trip. Watch break in recommendations as you will be doing a fair amount of that on the trip.

You might also consider something like this...

http://www.wwpotterowners.com/Modification82.html

Keep an eye on cooling water, check the lock down nuts to be sure they aren't loosening and you should be fine. 25 miles is going to be a fairly long trip, be sure to play the tide and all that.

If yours is a later 2.5hp keep this post in mind...

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?314023-Suzuki-DF-2-5-running-issues&p=3582912#post3582912

Apparently some have undersized jets and this is a good fix for that. The Suzuki 2.5 is a nice little engine, I have one.

Shawn

brackish

Apparently some have undersized jets and this is a good fix for that. The Suzuki 2.5 is a nice little engine, I have one.

Interesting read however are the jets stock for a higher HP, same displacement motor?  If so if all parts were not fully researched, probably a good cleaning would achieve the same result.

I did the research on my Suzuki 9.9 before increasing the HP to 15.  At first I thought I could just change the jets, but further research indicated that the throttle body was also slightly larger diameter even though the carb looked exactly the same.  Needing a number of other carb parts, I opted to just buy a whole 15 HP carb which was an exact bolt on.  Works great.  The extra HP is only apparent at the high end in the form of a higher operating RPM.  I haven't had time and the weather has turned on me delaying determining if I can change to a higher pitch prop on the planing skiff.  The existing prop was for the displacement hull 23.  Once again looking for the operating RPM in the right range for the developed HP.

Of course, your new Suzuki for the Sabre is full injected?  All problems solved.:)

Shawn

No, Suzuki reduced the size of the jets on 2.5 over the life of the engine. My 2006 had bigger jets than the later engines and the difference is in the idle throttle response. The parts catalog lists several jet sizes for the 2.5.

Yup, no jets for my 9.9. Only difference from it and the 15 and 20hp versions are restrictors in the intake and maybe different software in the computer.

Shawn