a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Santa sailing list?

Started by alsantini, December 13, 2016, 08:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

First off, let me say that I hope everyone here has a great Christmas and a New Year filled with lots of sailing.  So, what is on your list as Santa presents for the Eclipse?  I have a new set of sails for Off the Wind on my list.  Think I am going with Mack sails.  Right before becoming an Eclipse guy, I used Mack to replace my Precision 21 sails and was thrilled with them, so.....  I also asked Santa for a new auto-inflate inland PFD.  I have an offshore manual model with D rings that I wear on big water, but it is hot and bulky.  The plan is to use the lighter and hopefully cooler inland PFD for my Lake sailing.  So, what is on your list?  Any sailing trips in the planning stage?  We will head back to FL in 2 weeks, in time for me to sail in December.  That allows me to say I sailed every month of 2016 and will bring my total sails for the year to 68.  I was pushing to break the 70 mark but maybe next year.  The very best to all of you...  Sail On

Potcake boy

Alsantini,

I have asked Santa for some good cruising weather here in SW Florida, after all, we don't have heaters on our boats down here, and it's very uncomfortable sailing with shoes on our feet. Keep in mind that Florida is not a good vacation destination, as it is just too hard to leave.

Mack built the sails for my Corsair Tri, and they did a fantastic job, along with their "bend over backward" customer service I give them 5 stars *****. For anyone considering doing business with them, it should be mentioned that they also have a top notch rigging service. 

Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good sail.   Ho Ho Ho   Sorry I meant Har Har Har, hand over the Christmas booty.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

BruceW

Cool, Al,

Happy Holidays to all.

I am in the situation of needing time to do some things. All season I took the attitude of: if it doesn't stop me from sailing, I don't have time to do it.

So, I haven't installed my deckpipe, haven't put the second set of springs on my trailer, haven't installed the new better motor mount,  haven't....well, you get the picture.

Oh, so, now, the water is too cold for me to wade in to retrieve the boat. Hmmm.

Yeah, last time out, the motor decided to act up. I think it might have been the new gas I had just put in it. Non-alcohol, but the station is looking down at the heel, and....Anyway, will have to take the motor off and get my guy to look at the carburetor.

So, what do I need? I need to get off my ass and do something.

Best to each of you,

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Tim Gardner

The Admiral and I au headed to Ft. Myers Fl to my oldest daughters home for Christmas..  My younger daughter & her family are driving down from St. Augustine for the holiday as well. So we'll have the whole fam damily together for the first time in ages.

We are not going to be sailing on this trip down, but will be back in time for the Gardner's annual New Years day frostbite regatta on Smith Mountain Lake..

Cit. Dave & Mas, bring your 16's & go with us! GNYDCPFRASML!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

The mighty sailing yacht Koinoina has been unsplashed, rests on her trailer awaiting her final tucking away for the coming winter. But...plenty of fall and winter rowing planned with the annual New Years Day row. Each year I row some different waters and this year I have my sights set on Barnegat Inlet. Conditions permitting, of course.
  Then the intrepid guideboat Straggler will go in for some maintenance and general sprucing up!
Bob23

Mike K

Hi Al,

My Christmas list pertains to my 2006 Precision 21. Nothing exciting or sexy, but I need new standing rigging as I saw a wire broken at the top of the forestay.  It's really nice that Precision boatworks is still around, and I can still get OEM parts.  I also need to do some repairs on my furling jib that I'm shopping for a sail loft in Maryland that does inexpensive repairs.  The UV cover stiching rotted away, and there's a tear in the luff tape at the foot. Also, my Lewmar ports are leaky, so I'm going to buy new rubber gaskets and install them in the spring.

However, when I do need a new set of sails, I will keep Mack in mind due to your recommendation.  By the way, I was thinking the standard Genoa (150%) was a little big and old fashioned, especially when roller reefing due to poor reefed shape.  If I were to have to buy new, what are your thoughts on a smaller 135% or so with a foam luff?  Too small? I'm not into racing or have a huge need for speed.  Precision's optional hank on jib is only 100%, so the balance with a 135% should be OK?

As for my 2013 CP Legacy, it's still too new to need any Christmas item replacement parts.  About the only Christmas wish I have is that the weather between Christmas and New Years is nice on Charlotte Harbor.  We'll be down at our Florida house in North Port during that time, and we're seriously considering an overnight sail trip from Bokeelia on Pine Island to Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa.  Or at least a nice day sail out of Laishley marina ramp at Punta Gorda.

Have a wonderful holiday season!
Mike K
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

Vectordirector

Happy Holidays All,

Come on down, the weather and sailing are great.  Sailed three days this week and took the power cat out today.  The red tide is gone and all is well.  Mullet are jumping in my canal like nothing happened.  Lots of them. 

The Eclipse is not in need of anything other than a bottom cleaning.  I power wash it every week because it hasn't rained in a month and the birds like to use it for target practice.  It has been in the water for a month without bottom paint so that is going to be a bit of an issue but nothing I can do until they find time to come fix my lift.  It has the epoxy coat so I think it will just be dirty and not damaged or blister.  I'm having a diver come clean it before I lift it out of the water and it drys and becomes hardened.  Hope this helps get rid of most of it.   My sails seem to be holding up nicely after 12 years.  They are "Airforce" sails, factory original I think, although I've never heard of that brand.  The Suzuki 6 purrs like a kitten as long as I don't use ethanol gas.

I put 100 gallons in the cat today, 50 per side which took it up to about 3/4 of a tank each.  I don't have fuel management on the engines so I just run it down to a 1/4 and then put in 50 gallons in each 100 gallon tank.  I haven't run further than about 20 miles so I know I always have enough. Our local marinas have Valvetect REC90 and it is used in all my outboards and I highly recommend it.  Pricey but I only burn about 10 gph at 23kt. cruise.    The dual Suzuki DF-140's are very thrifty on gas and love to run at 4200 rpm.  The boat is a bit over propped and top end heavy is only around 30 knots but it won't get more than about 5000 rpms wide open.  It jumps out of the hole though and goes 5kts to cruising at 23 kts in about 5 seconds.  It trolls at 5 kts at 1400 rpm and gets about 5 mpg doing that.  This hull isn't designed to go much faster than 30 kts anyway so I'm happy.  At 23 knots I get up on top of the chop and ride smooth.  It is quite amazing.   30kts the ride gets more interesting and you have to "play" the trim of the boat in anything more than smooth water. The fuel burn doubles, so I don't do that very often but it is there if I need to outrun a storm.  I ran wide open back from Cabbage Key last month and it took less than 30 minutes to the entrance at Ponce.  Used maybe 20 gallons round trip dock to dock.  Not bad for a 25 ft boat going 40 miles at 28kts into a 15 kt wind and 3ft chop.  2 MPG cruise is pretty standard on these.  I enjoy both my boats and use them whenever the weather allows. 

You all be careful and stay warm up there, I see it will be a bit cold tomorrow night in Chitown.  -25, without the wind.  I'll not rub it in but, YIKES!   Perfect example of why I no longer live there in the winter. 

See you on the water,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

kickingbug1

every year i have a bone to pick with Santa. where the heck is my fire engine?   only a few things i want for Christmas. my granddaughter on my lap, a new jib for Audrey J and great weather for the rendezvous in june.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"