a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Marelon Valve ?

Started by Jma1_nemo, November 05, 2016, 11:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jma1_nemo

I had one Marelon Valve that was frozen on my boat. The small one in the aft end of the boat for the bilge discharge. I tried lubing and waiting from the outside for several days, but in the end the handle came off in my hand.  So I thought no problem these valves are easily disassembled and serviced according to what I had read. I took the valve off, and it disassembled very easily. There was nothing obvious as to why it was frozen. The whole affair is only four pieces a handle and an o-ring. The Ball has a square stud molded on top of it that the handle attaches to and it had sheared off.  No Problem all I needed was a new ball.  That is the problem. I contacted Forespar/Marelon and was told they won't sell me the ball, only a whole new valve. 
Has anyone ever heard of a source for parts for these valves?

wes

Surprised you have a valve on the bilge discharge. That's not factory, as far as I know, and it seems like a real bad idea to close it and run the risk of the bilge pump being unable to run when the boat is unattended. I think I'd remove that valve rather than repair it.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Craig Weis

W.W. Grainger probably has one listed in their catalog.
But going with no valve is better.

Plumb, using a tee, the electric bilge pump into the down stream line leading from the manual factory Gusher hand pump to the scupper. The Gusher pump has a back flow valve on it's discharge end.

Craig Weis